Recent Spam

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Recent Spam

Post by imslp »

Hi people! In light of recent incidents of spam in the "other" section of the forums, I have enabled visual confirmation on registration. This should keep out all the spam bots, so that if there are further spam, it will be coming from humans.

Sorry about not looking into this earlier!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Due to further spam, I have also enabled e-mail confirmation... the problem with this is that there might be some people who would not be able to register because the confirmation e-mail isn't delivered correctly... be sure to check the "Spam" or "Bulk" folder of your e-mail account!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

At the least these useless bots are funny.

Is there anything that can further be done?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well... I turned off e-mail confirmation for a bit and apparently they are back. I do not know how they managed to evade the image test... it might be that the spam is not the work of bots, but of some person who has too much time on his/her hands.

In any case, I've reactivated the e-mail confirmation, which would really inconvenience everyone, but let's hope that this also stops the spammer.

If even this fails, I will have to assign moderators to delete spam posts...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Can you ISP ban them?

If indeed they are not using a proxy.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well... no unfortunately :( They come from all over the place. I think it may be that the guy is using bots (i.e. computers compromised by viruses) to do this... but in any case it seems to have stopped, which is good :)