Forum Spamming

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Forum Spamming

Post by imslp »

I have done all I can to try to stop spam bots (or people) automatically (i.e. requiring image recognition and e-mail conformation), but apparently someone is determined to spam the forums.

Hence, I have no choice now but to assign moderators. I would perfer if the moderator is actually a frequent IMSLP forum poster, so I'm setting the bar at 20 posts (as of this writing), which means that there are 7 members which can be moderators... if you are one of them and would like to moderate (i.e. delete spam posts), please reply! And this offer is valid for a limited time only ;) The first two who reply will get moderator status. I might increase the number in the future, but I'd like to start with two and see how things go (and adding me would mean 3 moderators) :)
goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by goldberg988 »

Well, I barely make the cutoff, but I do visit the forum quite regularly and would be happy to help moderate.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Done :) Now you're a site-wide moderator. Waiting for one more :)
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Well, I don't qualify by postcount, but I've been with IMSLP a while (though not on the forums). Since no one else has volunteered yet, I'll volunteer if needed.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Since no one else volunteered and you've known IMSLP for a long time, I'll give you moderator status :)
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Cool. :-)
SelfTaughtMusician
regular poster

Post by SelfTaughtMusician »

I suggest searching for a Forum Mod which allows you to block known proxy servers. Alot of these bot spammers use a program which they plug in a file with a huge list of proxies and they are able to sign up bots on the forum somehow. Also if it is human spammers they tend to use proxies to hide their identity.
SelfTaughtMusician
regular poster

Post by SelfTaughtMusician »

SelfTaughtMusician wrote:I suggest searching for a Forum Mod which allows you to block known proxy servers. Alot of these bot spammers use a program which they plug in a file with a huge list of proxies and they are able to sign up bots on the forum somehow. Also if it is human spammers they tend to use proxies to hide their identity.
Also because of spam this site is considered adult by web nanny type programs.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Also because of spam this site is considered adult by web nanny type programs.
For real? :shock: That's incredible... and here I thought the forums gets next to no traffic...

About the proxy server issue, I'm not perfectly sure that it will actually stop the spammers (is there a comprehensive proxy list or something? the amount of proxy servers out there seems incredible and is changing every day... most of the proxy servers don't live long anyway), and it's quite messy... I might check this out if it gets any worse.

What I don't understand is what point there is in vandalizing a forum that isn't well known. From the spammer's profiles it is clearly a human doing this and not bots.

If this keeps up I might switch to the MediaWiki forum (a forum embedded in the wiki).
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

Personally i think that having a forum embedded in the wiki would probably be better anyway, largely because it's easier to navigate around from one part to the other, and it's all on the same site. I don't know any of the technical implications of doing that though.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

About the proxy server issue, maybe a cooperation with the Wikimedia projects would be possible? I don't know much about the issue, but maybe these are useful entry points:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WM:OP
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Wik ... /Blacklist
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category ... g_projects
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... that might be a good idea. Though I'll need to contact Wikimedia first I suppose... we'll see how it goes :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'll be happy to do it if required.

I've had lots of experience the forums (Over 4 years) and I co-ran a popular one for a little while.

So yeh... if yah want me, I'm here.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Thanks ArcticWind7! Since you were one of the people who actually got more than 20 posts, I'll add you to the moderator list :)

Also, I believe three people are enough for now, so I guess moderator recruiting is temporarily closed :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Thankyou. :D

On a side note I told my composition lecturer about this site, and now she is telling everyone else about it and using it. :P