Making an entry for a non-PD composer

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Making an entry for a non-PD composer

Post by kcleung »

If I want more people in the rest of the world to know about a composer whose copyright has not yet lapsed, is it okay to make an entry for him on IMSLP and list hist works WITHOUT uploading his scores?

I think in the old days I can do that on IMDBP but IMDBP no longer exists.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Making an entry for a non-PD composer

Post by pml »

I have agitated for a long time to allow pages of this kind to be available, despite the obvious cognitive dissonance of having a page for a composer whose works can't be obtained. There doesn't seem to be any issue preventing it, other than the need to have a different type of category page for these composers (e.g. the "Add a piece to this composer page" option would not be presented), so that it isn't confused for the "hosted" category of composers.

There is one exception to this currently enforced rule: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Stravinsky%2C_Igor

It has the "Add a piece" link intact, when arguably it should not be there!

What you can do in the meantime is create a worklist page, though you can't create the category page to go with it. (Well, you can create the category page, but an admin will be along in short order to delete it.)

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

so we need a template for the Non-PD category:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Non-Publ ... _Composers

which does *not* have a link to add PDF scores........
pml wrote:I have agitated for a long time to allow pages of this kind to be available, despite the obvious cognitive dissonance of having a page for a composer whose works can't be obtained. There doesn't seem to be any issue preventing it, other than the need to have a different type of category page for these composers (e.g. the "Add a piece to this composer page" option would not be presented), so that it isn't confused for the "hosted" category of composers.

There is one exception to this currently enforced rule: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Stravinsky%2C_Igor

It has the "Add a piece" link intact, when arguably it should not be there!

What you can do in the meantime is create a worklist page, though you can't create the category page to go with it. (Well, you can create the category page, but an admin will be along in short order to delete it.)

Regards, Philip
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Philip just brought up something that I think addresses the chief concern about having such pages - the fact that they tend to encourage people to upload things here which they shouldn't be uploading (or even have a copy of). If it were possible to disable the "add a work" feature on such pages, they would be more beneficial than serving as gateways for potential liability.