Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Re: Petrucci Library Press

Post by jujimufu »

Sounds like a very exciting project. I would be great to see some hard-copies of IMSLP/PML-branded scores!

I am a bit weary about some things, though.

For example, would the hard copies be copyright-less themselves? Would someone be able to scan and re-upload a hard-copy of a score on IMSLP? (I know there is little point in reality in doing so - but as a thought experiment, suppose that Feldmahler had physical copies of all the IMSLP scores by Serenissima, and suppose that a meteorite fell on every IMSLP server and destroyed all the files. Would Feldmahler be allowed to re-upload the copies, or because they are re-published by Serenissima he has no right to do so and would have to go back to the source?)

Also, as someone else said, why Amazon and not other websites, why kindle and not sony reader etc (I don't want to repeat the same stuff). I am aware that amazon is a great website that is well accessed by many parts of the world, but what about places dedicated to music scores, like sheetmusicplus.com and stuff?

I agree with the idea of printing rather rare and unknown scores instead of famous and many-times-printed scores - PLP is not going to compete with any of the major publishing companies, and particularly since it's a non-profit move, I think we should aim at doing something others don't: not focus on making money! So instead, try and publish things other people don't, less-known scores, less-played scores, from less-known composers. I think that would be the best to do.

On a similar note, what would happen with contemporary composers who have uploaded their works on IMSLP? I think it would be a good rule to say that PLP will only publish scores that have been published before under a known publishing house/company. This way we will avoid 14-year olds who will try and get their E-major piano preludes published - not to say anything about the music, but it is highly likely that scores that have not been published before (and are thus self-published or just type-set on the computer) are full of layout, printing and notational mistakes which would have otherwise been corrected by an editor before sent to a publishing company for print. (Not to say that published scores are flawless - but most of the time they are a lot less flawful than the scores the composers give to the publishing company).

Of course, there might be composers who have uploaded here works of theirs which have been published elsewhere - in which case they could apply for printing, I think. But as I said, I don't think we should allow this great service to be turned in a tool for shameless self-promotion for new/young/unknown contemporary composers.

There, my $0.02 .
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for the observations, jujimufu. PLP is limited to public domain items only, and - yes - anyone could scan a PLP score and re-upload to IMSLP (which as you mention would be pointless) or even another site. Public domain is public domain. No copyright claim is made on PLP scores. The PLP scores go into the distribution network of Ingram, which is tied into many more sites than just Amazon (though Amazon is probably the largest).

I am told that the Kindle venture (Debussy and Elgar) has been a failure, though Ingram also has an "e-book" distribution feature than can be explored.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES

Post by vinteuil »

Well, that's a pity about Kindle. Unfortunately the two titles that I suspect would really be in demand, sell well, etc. are two we don't have - Ma Vlast and Les Troyens, as it is rather hard to come by scores of either, especially the latter. Daphnis, however, has mentioned scanning Les Troyens as part of his Berlioz project - Carolus, are you listening? I want a PLP score the second that score is up! :wink:
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Bump...

Les Troyens is up, and an initial discussion is currently proceeding at Daphnis' talk page. The second volume (Les Troyens à Carthage) is fairly problematic, however, and not just because the plate is clearly over-inked. Your choice as to whether we discuss this here or at the Wiki...

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
Funper
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES

Post by Funper »

Just from the top of my head, all available in color scans on the site:

Franz Liszt:

Sonata in FE