Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Twitter - imslp

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I thought I should mention that I am running a twitter account for imslp – www.twitter.com/imslp.

If there are any moderators (wiki or forum) that want to help run it, speak of. Also, if there are and mods (again, wiki or forum) that have twitter accounts post them and I'll get imslp's twitter account to follow you (I want to eventually ONLY follow those associated with IMSLP).

Everyone else, if you have a Twitter account, do follow IMSLP.

(www.twitter.com/yagankiely)
Philidor
Groundskeeper
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Twitter - imslp

Post by Philidor »

Yagan Kiely wrote:If there are any moderators (wiki or forum) that want to help run it...
Count me in. An IMSLP Twitter account would be dead easy to run - just tweet twice a week on some interesting score that's been uploaded, or some hot debate on this forum.

2 tweets per week @ 30 seconds per tweet
= 1 min per week
= 5 mins per month
= 1 hour per year

I'm happy to donate an hour a year to IMSLP's Twitter operation. 8)
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Just to report this is now running smoothly. I'm following new people (orchestras, soloists, etc), following people who follow IMSLP, and tweeting something (roughly) each day. If you want something tweeted, just post here.

http://twitter.com/imslp
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

2nd report: people can't follow the IMSLP Twitter account fast enough. Typical reactions:

http://twitter.com/L_Strickland/status/22184022664

http://twitter.com/tulsacamerata/status/22183527911

One or two trashy followers are creeping in - Twitter "marketing gurus" and pious quote merchants - but I'll weed them out as I go along. We'll end up with a fab Twitter account - the cream of classical musicians, professionals and amateurs, from across the globe.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Nice work! Looks great!
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Fantastic!
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

A few more reactions:

In terms of driving people to the site I suspect the impact of the Twitter account will be negligible. IMSLP's tremendous search engine profile will continue to do the heavy lifting.

But it will mean that if there's a crisis - say a 'cease & desist' from someone with deep pockets - IMSLP will have a social media support network, including people like the London Symphony Orchestra, which can be motivated at a moment's notice. I've been involved in Twitter campaigns and they can be deadly. There'll be other strategic uses too.

Plus it's fun to help set up because IMSLP's so well loved. It's like marketing a donkey sanctuary, or a home for orphaned, unusually fluffy, kittens. :lol:
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Final one for now. See what I mean about IMSLP's reputation? I've simply gone round Twitter following some people and here's the response:

http://twitter.com/thesoundpost/status/22196417958
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Great work – and thanks for following! (I liked the comment about "orphaned, unusually fluffy kittens"!) PML
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just wanted to drop in and say that, while I don't use Twitter or Facebook very much, I'm very happy to see an active IMSLP Twitter account. I don't know if the same can be done for Facebook? We do have a lot of followers. Of course, we also don't want to be obnoxious and spam people's Facebook feeds.
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

From IMSLP's twitter feed. :D

link
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

We've just hit 3,000 followers on Twitter. So IMSLP now has a powerful, medium size Twitter account. They're a high quality group, including:
  • - orchestras
    - choirs
    - composers
    - soloists
    - conductors
    - string quartets
    - opera singers
    - music teachers
    - amateurs
    - music students
    - recording engineers
    - music publishers
    - classical music agents
    - music academics & journalists
    - music software engineers
    - instrument makers
    - music shops
I'll tend to follow back anyone who isn't clearly insane, a spammer, a "Twitter marketing guru" a religious maniac, a Nazi, or people who tweet nothing but pious quotations. For some reason, Twitter attracts a lot of the latter atm.

I try to tweet a daily score linked to the Wiki - to keep the pot boiling - Journal articles, interesting threads here, and generally just chat to people. Chatting's important - the key to twitter. If you just use it as a megaphone people get bored.

If you want anything tweeted, PLEASE SAY. Write on this thread or PM me. Some people here run classical music blogs. If you publish an interesting article use the IMSLP twitter account to publicise it. Ditto if you've a concert coming up. It should be one of the perks imo of belonging to the forum and contributing to the Wiki. Plus it livens up the IMSLP twitter feed so everyone benefits.

One thing the Twitter account's shown me, again and again, is how popular IMSLP is. It's a jewel in the crown of social media. So the IMSLP Twitter account has a special status - use it!