Problems with Sonatas of Antonio Soler

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

enigma
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Problems with Sonatas of Antonio Soler

Post by enigma »

Looking for new editions of the Sonatas of Antonio Soler, I have seen in IMSLP the 10-volume edition by Steve Wiberg in Due West Editions. As an expert in Soler's sonatas (it is my doctoral thesis), I have to say to all the people who uses this edition thay it is full of mistakes, the same mistakes of the extant edition by Samuel Rubio (which is from 1957-72), which he seemed have copied literally. Everybody can see the mistakes very easily: just compare Sonata no. 41 with Sonata no. 96 (II mov.), or Sonata no. 42 with Sonata no. 96 (IV mov.), or the Sonata no. 45 with the Sonata no. 94 (IV mov.), or the Sonata no. 54 with the Sonata no. 92 (I mov.), for example. They are the same!!! The author seems not to have read the Catalogue of works by Soler published by Samuel Rubio (the official expert in Soler until his death) in 1980, in which Rubio brings up to date the numbering of Sonatas. The current Sonatas no. 41, 42 and 54 are now three Sonatas from the Madrid Conservatory Manuscript, and Sonata no. 45 is the "Sonata por la princesa de Asturias". The first three may be found in the Ife & Truby edition of Sonatas in Oxford:
(IFE, Barry & TRUBY, Roy (ed.). Antonio Soler. Twelve Sonatas (The Madrid Conservatory Manuscript) Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1989)
and the Sonata no. 45 may be found in the following edition:
BACIERO, A. Cuadernos para el piano. Vol. I “Sonata por la princesa de Asturias de A. Soler” Real Musical, Madrid, 1979
How could I get in contact with this Steve Wiberg or with Due West Editions to put it right?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Problems with Sonatas of Antonio Soler

Post by KGill »

If you'd like him to look into it, you can contact him at his user page on IMSLP. However, you should be aware that the two new editions you mentioned are under copyright worldwide (or in the case of the 1979 one, mostly worldwide), so it may not be possible for a corrected edition to appear on IMSLP.
enigma

Re: Problems with Sonatas of Antonio Soler

Post by enigma »

That's right, but the solution then is to ask for a facsimile copy of Madrid Conservatory Manuscript and then to edit it directly from manuscript, as would do a true editor. That would work for Sonatas no. 41, 42 and 54. For current Sonata no. 45 it would be a little bit more difficult, since it is a private manuscript. Anywhere, I would try to conctact with him and try to correct all these mistakes.
Thanks for the information
Enigma