IMSLP new version + Recording Project

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

IMSLP new version + Recording Project

Post by imslp »

As some of you have noticed, there was a major update to IMSLP earlier today. The three main features are

1) a new audio file submission system,
2) a new CC licensing system, and
3) the {{#imslpviewgenres:}} parser function (used on IMSLP:View Genres),

but there are also several other minor improvements and bug fixes. This is meant to be the first "baseline" upgrade of the summer, features and bug fixes that did not make it into this release may be done later in the summer. Hence, keep comments, suggestions and bug reports coming!

Second, I would like to announce the Recording Project. The idea is to submit CC-licensed recordings on other sites to IMSLP. For example, the ~700 music recordings on Wikimedia Commons is a nice start. The goal of this project is to provide a nice basic set of recordings so that people will be encouraged to make more themselves and upload them. Unfortunately I won't have time to lead the project, so if anyone else would like to lead it, simply create the appropriate project page on the wiki. And of course, tell me if you need anything technically, etc.

P.S. The idea of submitting audio files is to submit prepared (i.e. practiced), well-planned and well-recorded performances of works onto IMSLP. Contributors should be discouraged from contributing low-quality, ad-hoc recordings of practice/rehearsal sessions. Of course, we do not want to be too strict at first, but the goal is to get good quality recordings, not just a jumble of random recordings. That said, nobody should judge recordings based on performance style; rather, the recordings should be judged on 1) preparation (i.e. practice) adequacy and 2) recording quality. The ratings should reflect this judgement, NOT how much the rater likes the performance style (this might be something that would be good to put on top of the ratings page...).