A surprising (maybe?) new score collection

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

A surprising (maybe?) new score collection

Post by imslp »

I just found out about a music score collection whose owner claims that it has ~60,000 scores. Surprisingly, it is not listed on IMSLP's external score websites list, nor did I know about it beforehand.

Anyone know anything about this site? I expect it to have some copyrighted material, but maybe there is enough public domain material to fill gaps in IMSLP...

URL: http://classicscores.narod.ru
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: A surprising (maybe?) new score collection

Post by Carolus »

I discovered this one a couple of weeks ago myself. The content appears to be taken mainly from other websites (including this one). Like most Russian sites, there is no discernible observance of copyright law in any form, so users should be aware (no you can't upload all those Messiaen scores here!). The rather inflated file count for this site (65,000) appears to come from lots of duplicates of the same basic scan. (I discovered 4 files for scan of the ca.1925 Muzgiz score of Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, for example - one locked, another with pages cropped, a third with all 8.5 x 11 pages, etc.) The downloads are much faster than Tarakanov, and the site is certainly worth perusing for new and different items (I added a Fürstner piano score of Delibes Copellia from there yesterday, along with a nicer scan of the Hugel piano score of Sylvia). There's also a new score search engine site: http://www.scorser.com
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Here is another one that maybe you already know. A Hungarian site.
http://fulltext.lib.unideb.hu/chamber/bin/notes.cgi

Many of the Cello pieces I have already added to IMSLP
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

I've just uploaded the full score of Ralph Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antarctica from the Russian site – unfortunately, on IMSLP it goes straight into the [TB] jailhouse. I'd do the same for Symphonies 4 and 5, just to get closer to having more of RVW's œuvre potentially available in the future should some favourable development ever come to pass that unlocked these works – however the full scores of these are vastly uncompressed, and I don't have the capability to compress these without major degradation in quality.

Also worth snaring from there is the VS to Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony, but someone will have to use the cabalistic tools that remove unwanted logos. This fortunately is in public domain (except for life+70 jurisdictions). Thanks Carolus!

That site is a real rubbish tip – but the odd gem amongst a pile of unsorted dross!

PML (who was amused to see his tell-tale initials on a number of works, LOL)
--
PML (talk)