General Information Guide

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

BKhon

General Information Guide

Post by BKhon »

I recently wrote a manual of style for general information:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Manual_of_Style/G ... nformation

I left a few blank where I'm unsure, and some open ended questions in the text. It needs a lot of work and fleshing out. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts? Also: the missing internal link is something else I'm working that I think might be a nice addition to have on IMSLP.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: General Information Guide

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for setting this up, BKhon. One thing I noticed has to do with the field "Average Duration." For the vast majority of works covered by our archive, there is actually a range of durations into which most performances and recordings fall. My vote is that this average duration therefore be given in minutes only, as there are very few works (maybe those under 2 minutes) where including seconds would even fit the idea of an average duration.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

It certainly needs doing, and thanks for making a start. I've tweaked a couple of sections to allow for some circumstances that can arise, while trying not to make things too complicated.

This might provide an opportunity to sort out some issues once and for all — particularly the controversial "Instrumentation" field (or should that be "minefield"?) :) Maybe there should be a separate forum thread for this, and other potentially tricky issues?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Davydov wrote:It certainly needs doing, and thanks for making a start. I've tweaked a couple of sections to allow for some circumstances that can arise, while trying not to make things too complicated.

This might provide an opportunity to sort out some issues once and for all — particularly the controversial "Instrumentation" field (or should that be "minefield"?) :) Maybe there should be a separate forum thread for this, and other potentially tricky issues?
Note my template "I" which works nicely for my style...although the default orchestration is pretty useless.... :lol:
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Here is the newest version:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Manual_of_Style/G ... nformation

I tried to solve the issue of instrumentation. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to just put them into the manual.

What thinks everyone?