>150000 downloads per day, plus I'm hardware curious...

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

>150000 downloads per day, plus I'm hardware curious...

Post by homerdundas »

Seems no one else has noticed or has been impressed enough to write about it - we have been above 100000 downloads per day since september (except for a few annoying holidays) and recently broken the 150000 downloads per day milestone :shock: . Thats between one and two downloads per second.

I'm a techie - so I was wondering if one of the sysop types could please tell us how we manage? What is the hardware that we use to service that? I would assume we connect right to some fibre. How many gigabytes of stuff do we serve? We run linux I assume? What flavour? Or do we just rent some space on a commercial server?
Thanks, all.
imslp
Site Admin

Re: >150000 downloads per day, plus I'm hardware curious...

Post by imslp »

Well, the hardware is probably slightly less exciting than the software (or else IMSLP'd never be able to run on such hardware):

Dedicated server (main server)
Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
8GB RAM
1TB (RAID-1) HD
100Mbps

Several mirror servers (mostly for archive mirroring)
Various configurations (I think all 100Mbps insofar as I know)

Between the various servers we probably use most of the popular flavours of Linux, and even BSD (for one mirror server). Bandwidth is approximately ~1.5TB per day for the mirror servers combined, and ~20-30GB for the main server. The archive size itself is about 400GB I think.

All this does not take into account the forums, blog and local servers, as I have no control over them...