New IMLP.ORG

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

reblues

New IMLP.ORG

Post by reblues »

I'm very sorry about the sad news, anyway a new IMSLP.ORG can be created, but doing like Mutopia: they pay careful attention about published material.
I was kind of puzzled to see that for instance Mikrokosmos by Bela Bartok was on IMSLP.ORG, it was an old sovietic edition with text in cyrillic but with the very same music which you can find on commercial edition published by Boosey & Hawkes. But it was claerly NOT in the public domain considering that Bartok died in 1945. And this was not the only case I found but definitely the most important considering that Mikrokosmos is a book that nearly all pepole who studies piano must learn.
Next IMSLP.ORG should be very careful. So come on there are still SO many scores in the public domain, you can leave Mikrokosmos out for now, until it goes public.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

You obviously never payed much attention to the rules of the site -- being 1945 -- over 50 years ago -- his music falls into the PD in CANADA, where the material was hosted (in addition, there's much of his music published before 1923, which falls under the pre-1923 US copyright law).

-Lala-