misunderstanding maybe?

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

nikolas
regular poster

misunderstanding maybe?

Post by nikolas »

Ok!

I just saw an exchange of letters between various people and the replies of UE...

Now I reread the letter and saw the following part:
It is our understandingth at it is possiblet o filter lP addresseso f those who take part in
copying files from your site to prevent such unauthorized copyright infringement.
However,w e furtheru nderstandth at such safeguardsa re not in place. As a resulto f the
lack of safeguardso n the IMSLPf rom infringingC anadiana nd Europeanc opyrightla w,
you and your organizationa re involvedi n a collectivee ffortt o breachc opyright.
This is a violationo f bothE uropeana nd Canadianc opyrighlta w.
We therefore demand that you cease and desist from offering on your web site the
musicals coresa nd any other copyrightedw orks of the UE Authors. Thesew orks should
be removed by no later than October 19. 2007.

We furtherd emandt haty ou institutea filterings ystemt o the IMSLPt hatw ouldp revent
any furtheru ploadingo f the UE Artists'ss cofesu ntila ftert he expiryo f Europeana nd
Canadianc opyrighitn those works
(Acrobat stuffed up a bit here, but you get the point)

If I read correctly the point is this:

A. There are a few scores that are still copyrighted (so remove them)
B. Find a way to make sure no more copyrighted works get on the site (again seems doable).

I really don't see the letter as THAT bad really, although I did panic, and let everybody I know know about IMSLP, and I have my own scores on the site as well.
Somehow UE is not unreasonable, I'm sorry to say.

I'm open to flames, etc 24/7 and blah blah.

But really could someone explain to me, what is SO hard in reopening IMSLP? Either way, I'm dead sure that Composers dead before 1900 are no problem 100%, and thus begin with those and move on, after negotiations etc...

Am I dumb or something?
neb

Post by neb »

I don't think you are wrong, and I think that U-E is just protecting it's interests (and who can blame them for that). That they're coming on really that strong is a testament to how threatened they feel by the internet.

In another post on the subject elsewhere though I've pointed out lost opportunity. viewtopic.php?p=3263#3263
Odin
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

The third way

Post by Odin »

Hello

There is one more thing to do - and the new Pirate parties in
Europe intend to do this thing:

Change some important parts ot the copyright law itself.

E.g. take away all protection that extends for any longer time
than the author´s or composer´s own lifetime.

In no other kind of profession you can get an income from
your work during 70 years after your own death. This part
of the copyright legislation is simply mad and must be
taken away.

Sincerely
Odin
nikolas
regular poster

Post by nikolas »

Odin,

I'm a composer, finishing my PhD in composition.

So I care deeply for what happens with copyright laws.

As it happens I have 2 sons, aged 4 and 2 right now.

I'm studying and don't have money/store/anything really to leave them. I would certainly love for my kids to hold copyright of MY music. See the reasoning?

Many things in life (actually everything) can be extended from generation to generation. Money, houses, cars, items, investements. Why not something that I, personally have invested greatly on?

Now, before you jump on me again I need to remind you:

A. All my scores (anyways the ones I thought presentable enough) were on IMSLP and on my site
B. My mp3s as well

So I don't really expect to make anything from copyrights etc, and I'm in favour of free distribution (and kudos to Radiohead for doing such a bold move for such a big group).

But still don't jump ahead and try to take anything that is possible...

Nikolas

PS. for the record 70 years after the death of a composer, is completely ludicrous and I wouldn't want to give more than nothing or 10 years or something to my kids. But, but, but I do feel the need to present the case of a professional composer as well. After all music is being created by them...
Odin
active poster

i know what you mean

Post by Odin »

Hello Nikolas

I cannot share your point of view, but I can respect you as a person and I can respect your point of view.

Tell me any other profession where you can get paid (or your childs) up to 70 years after your work is done.

In other professions, people have to earn money, put parts of the money aside ("save") and buy stocks, land, houses, gold, silver or other property for this money or put it on bank accounts. Then their childs can inherit these properties. But the income from their work itself finishes as soon as they die or retire.

Now you are a student, but you will one day have some kind of an income from your work. Different from many other people from the Pirate movement - I accept that your right to your own works should persist as long as you are alive. For your sons, you will have to do like other people - save a part of your money in some shape and leave it to them when your day has come.

Sincerely
Odin
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It not what they are doing, it's the way they do it where a lot of people have a problem with it. US publishers tend not to care what IMSLP is doing, as they are no really losing any more from it.

There is no need to delete them if we IP ban EU and US citizens. To many countries will lose of that happens. In Canada and other nations, it is 100% legal, and if only open to people in these countries, they can't do anything.

Coping, out is not the best for IMSLP. Funper suggested that he'd rather IMSLP died (curious wording. :P but never mind) than crippled, and I HALF agree; I'd rather see IMSLP come back online in a few months Strong and legal and full, than right now and partly crippled.
But really could someone explain to me, what is SO hard in reopening IMSLP?
Read the main page, one person can't run a site this big on his own.

nikolas, please don't swear. :wink: