The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I'll try to give you an answer without getting into too much detail.

1. There is no such thing as a work that is completely "immune" from claims of copyright protection - irrespective of how false such claims may be. There are, for example, more than a few libraries and archives that make a claims of what amounts to copyright protection upon the manuscripts of composers who have been dead for well over 100 years, and even make claims upon scans or upon images made from older printed scores. (A vandal from France attempted to destroy IMSLP based upon such ridiculous claims just last year.) That fact that such claims have no basis under either statutory or case law does not prevent anyone with the money (like UE) from hiring lawyers to write threatening letters, bringing phoney and malicious lawsuits to court, etc.

2. The only way an entity like IMSLP can protect itself from the type of legal harrassment and thuggery so exquisitely demonstrated by UE and their lawyers is to incorporate as a non-profit, have an operating budget, and retain attorneys to defend against malicious lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, etc. Alternatively, IMSLP could continue operation as a division of an already existing non-profit (like Project Gutenberg), a University Music Library, or even a government arts agency.

3. There is no agenda apart from the fact that we don't want to be in a position of personal financial vulnerability from every crazed idiot in the universe who thinks they have some claim to a public domain work. There is no law to prevent anyone from claiming copyright upon a Mozart work and binging suit under a completely ridiculous pretense. Yes, they'd lose the case but Feldmahler would still have to pay an attorney to defend himself in court. So, we have to set up a non-profit corporation, or find a non-profit to back us with their legal staff, etc. It all takes time, naturally.
macula

Post by macula »

Carolus wrote:I'll try to give you an answer without getting into too much detail.
Thank you, Carolus, for the clear and reasonable response to my question.
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

To Macula,
Carolus is also implying that no matter the age or copyright status of a sheet music, there will always be somebody out there trying to claim copyright to it and hence claim royalty for its publication or performance. For example, a person may claim copyright to a Gregorian Chant piece that was composed over 500 years ago based on the fact that he is the direct descendant of the composer, which is absurd and with no legal basis.
IMSLP would have to operate as a non-profit is that imagine yourself in Feldmahler's shoes as the admin for IMSLP. If every once in a while somebody sues you for breach of copyright on a piece of music, even if you win every case you would still have to pay the legal costs, as Carolus has said. This may not matter if you're well off and can afford it, but imagine the mental toll it can inflict as well as the fear of another lawsuit coming in the horizon. So I hope you can understand.
will_in_wi

Post by will_in_wi »

Have you contacted the Electronic Freedom Foundation?
http://eff.org/

They are around for stuff just like this. Another question is if it is possible to get a score for my personal use. I have been searching for the score to the reformation symphony by Felix Mendelsohn. Can it be emailed to me? Particularly if I promise not to redistribute it?

I really hope such a great site gets back online soon. I am a web developer and I am willing to help in whatever way I can.

Thanks.
will_in_wi

Post by will_in_wi »

I don't know what the site looked like previous to the takedown. Would you like it if I designed a drupal site for this?
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

will_in_wi wrote:I don't know what the site looked like previous to the takedown. Would you like it if I designed a drupal site for this?
The site previously used Mediawiki software; I think the plan is to continue with the same (although there were several project working on prettifying the mediawiki templates and such).
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

The Choral Public Domain Library also uses the Mediawiki software if I'm not mistaken. You can take a look at the main page. Although there are obvious differences page layout and such, it is essentially the same as IMSLP.

www.cpdl.org
Doeron

is there a timetable/roadmap?

Post by Doeron »

Do you know, when imslp.org will return? Do you have a plan? Would it be possible to establish a newsletter, that informs the subscribers, when imslp.org is online again?

Hope to see imslp online soon,

Johannes
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

will_in_wi wrote:I don't know what the site looked like previous to the takedown. Would you like it if I designed a drupal site for this?
look here
emeraldimp
active poster

Re: is there a timetable/roadmap?

Post by emeraldimp »

Doeron wrote:Would it be possible to establish a newsletter, that informs the subscribers, when imslp.org is online again?
You can be sure it will be announced here and on every outlet I have access to (er... my blog and the lilypond list :-) ), and I'm sure others will be vocal as well.

That said, an announcement list isn't a terrible idea. Do folks want me to set up a google or yahoo group?
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Peter wrote:look here
It doesn't do it justice... it was far prettier than I'm getting from the wayback machine.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

emeraldimp wrote: It doesn't do it justice... it was far prettier than I'm getting from the wayback machine.
The new front page layout is visible in the last entry for the wayback machine (somewhere in july 2007). However, google cache might also work?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Wow... yes... much prettier than... that, even before the colour upgrade.
theoneandonly

Post by theoneandonly »

i think you're really letting us down. :evil:
aldona
active poster

Re: is there a timetable/roadmap?

Post by aldona »

emeraldimp wrote:
Doeron wrote:Would it be possible to establish a newsletter, that informs the subscribers, when imslp.org is online again?
You can be sure it will be announced here and on every outlet I have access to (er... my blog and the lilypond list :-) ), and I'm sure others will be vocal as well.

That said, an announcement list isn't a terrible idea. Do folks want me to set up a google or yahoo group?
Yes please!

Count me in.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis