The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

due to the secret accumulation of scans and scores amongst the contributors during this ice age there is likely to be a great boom in the total number of scores a few weeks after reopening?
Probably. :)
all that was there on imslp before the terrorist attack will be there at the reopening,
Files that are copyright only in the US (i.e. didn't renew copyright or published pre 1923) will not be at IMSLP.

It is my understanding that IMSLP will initially open with within just the US laws (i.e. 70+), but this is only temporary. The Canadian PD works will be released as soon as all the legal aspects are taken care of - but the will be coming back.
why does it cost $100,000? is the funds for purchasing music or for the web and server?
Most of that will not be for servers. A fair amount of that will be for coverage in a legal situation and/or to fight a case.
adeadsniper
regular poster

Post by adeadsniper »

alrighty thanks.
vivaldi85

Post by vivaldi85 »

Why don't you give more frequent updates? One every couple of weeks would be nice but since IMSLP will be in full swing in less than two weeks it's probably not necessary anymore...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

There have been no change of plans :)
chamberpianist

Waiting !

Post by chamberpianist »

just to let you know: we can't wait until IMSLP reopens, particularly since some of the sources of good PD music scans are in the process of drying up.

Only today I recognised, that the Free Sheet Music Archive has locked most of it's files to non-members, who have to pay for membership, although the archive has hardly got any new entries over the past years. The files from the archive, which also were available in Fox music, are now only links.

We all hope so much that IMSLP will stay open, will continue to provide the greatest source of sheet music on the web, will evolve to become a platform for exchange of music lovers all over the world and will provide the "normal" music lover with access to all the rare PD music, which cannot (or only at great expense e.g. for library fees) be got in any other way.

Looking forward to July 1st !!! :D
GeorgeChopin

Post by GeorgeChopin »

When I first heard about IMSLP I thought "My God, this website is Jesus" however then I discovered it was offline.

Now I eagerly await July 1st for the time that Jesus will come back again! Haha.

I cannot wait for it. I actually cannot wait. I've been living off allpianoscores.com and free-scores for so long now!
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

we can't wait until IMSLP reopens, particularly since some of the sources of good PD music scans are in the process of drying up.
...hmmm...(pondering all kinds of dark conspiracy theories)...

I wonder if some of the other websites have had pressure applied from music publishers or others.

If you have a chance, download as may scores from PD websites while you can, and then when IMSLP comes back you can see which ones are not included yet and add them to the collection.

Hopefully we can make IMSLP a kind of "Noah's Ark" for rare and endangered PD music scores.

My 2 favourite staple sites are still going strong:

The Danish Royal Library
http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/samling/ma/index.html

and the Sibley Music Library
http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/samling/ma/index.html

1 week to go! (well, it's the 23rd here in Australia now!)

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
nerd011235

Post by nerd011235 »

I'm going to be away during July, but as soon as I get back, I'll be posting some new stuff. Look for:

Stravinsky: Les Noces
Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe (2nd part will appear later)
Haydn: Symphony Nos. 39, 44, 48, 55
Tchaikovsky: Mazeppa (full score): Act 1 (rest will appear later)
Schubert: Symphony Nos. 1 and 2
Sibelius: Violin Concerto (full score)
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll

What else have you scanned?
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I'm away form my college's music library for the summer, but I have scanned the parts for Brahms's Piano Quartet No.3 in C Minor (my favorite piece ever), and I'll upload those.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Stravinsky: Les Noces
Isn't Stravinsky still (c) in Canada? I believe the only reason Le Sacre is PD is because it was published over 75 years ago. But that law is only in the US and IMSLP is hosted in Canada so I don't believe That will be allowed to be included.

Since IMSLP will not be opening initially with Canadian scores free to download, Ravel and Sibelius you will probably be able to upload, but they won't be able to be downloaded until the rest of the Canadian portion of IMSLP is finalised.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I have discussed this with people, and it seems likely that there will be a small "side" project to accommodate scores PD only in the US. It may take a few months just because I will probably be extremely busy with other IMSLP stuff during that period (I have too much planned, too little time).

That said, sadly I don't think "Les Noces" is PD in the US either.
sixhobbits
regular poster

Post by sixhobbits »

I have the Boosey & Hawkes 2 Piano Reduction of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto. Re-engraved edition 1967, corrected 2000. It says: "(c) Copyright 1901 by Hawkes and Son (London) Ltd." on the first page. Would this be under copyright?

IMSLP had a 2 Piano Reduction of Rachmaninoff's 2nd but I think the Boosey and Hawkes edition is probably better, if it's out of Copyright.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'd say around 98% likely.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the old IMSLP wishlist? I think it would be a good idea to post that before July 1st so we can start to look for things. I for one will have access to a music library this weekend, but after that not until August, so it would be nice to have ideas.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I would, but the list is huge.

If there is anything more specific I can do that.