The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

vivaldi85

Post by vivaldi85 »

It seems things aren't being kept on track. The blog hasn't been created. Are things still going as planned?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yes. If you want to blame someone for the seeming inactivity, blame my host for eating $200+ from my wallet in one day and giving me nothing in return. Originally was supposed to have a major IMSLP upgrade done this week, but couldn't do it because of the host. Which means it is going to be delayed to next week, which is not a big deal though because other stuff is still going on.

The blogs will have to wait, because software changes to IMSLP are very extensive, and likely will take at least one week to fully upload and test.
AlexBFreb
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by AlexBFreb »

23 days!!!
adeadsniper
regular poster

Post by adeadsniper »

23 days till what?
AlexBFreb

Post by AlexBFreb »

IMSLP reopens!!!
adeadsniper
regular poster

Post by adeadsniper »

r u serious??? why 23 days tho? how do you know?
AlexBFreb

Post by AlexBFreb »

adeadsniper
regular poster

Post by adeadsniper »

thx. this is wonderful.
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

Heyo! I'm glad to see IMSLP has a projected date to restart. I had only used the site for a few months before the fiasco. I have a lot of scans I would like to contribute once it gets started again!

Any word on if there will be a way to make donations via Paypal? I'd totally help out with hosting costs, as I'm sure many would.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

There is likely to be a donation service, either at the restart or soon after.
AlexBFreb

Post by AlexBFreb »

14 days!

As far as donations are concerned, is this project going to need a lot of help?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

feldmahler wrote:Well, to be frank, $2000 covers only a very small fraction of the projected cost of IMSLP reopening (yes, I have been consulting people in the field). This is why the reopening is taking so long. If you know of a millionare willing to donate $100,000 (or heck, even $10,000) to IMSLP, please do tell me.
This was posted Feb 22, 2008. It may have changed and also this obviously isn't a completely accurate statement.

That said it may provide a rough estimate of what is required.

viewtopic.php?t=726&postdays=0&postorde ... &start=120[/list]
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

AlexBFreb wrote:14 days!

As far as donations are concerned, is this project going to need a lot of help?
can anyone remember, any idea how many hits there had been on the IMSLP website before it went down?

(guessing) if it is a million or so, then imagine if every visitor contributed $1...we would soon have a million dollars.

When my morning coffee is a bit too strong and my imagination runs overtime, I like to imagine a fund set aside just for the purpose of buying up PD scores from ebay, ABEbooks, amazon, BookFinder and all the other secondhand and antiquarian book/ sheet music dealers...

And then to employ an army of people who have lots of time but too little money, to scan and upload...

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

aldona wrote:When my morning coffee is a bit too strong and my imagination runs overtime, I like to imagine a fund set aside just for the purpose of buying up PD scores from ebay, ABEbooks, amazon, BookFinder and all the other secondhand and antiquarian book/ sheet music dealers...
Well, your overtime imagination just hit the spot, because that is one of the higher priorities IMSLP will be looking at once it is up and running :)

Not sure yet about the next part of that post though ;)
adeadsniper
regular poster

boom?

Post by adeadsniper »

soo let me get this straight... all that was there on imslp before the terrorist attack will be there at the reopening, and due to the secret accumulation of scans and scores amongst the contributors during this ice age there is likely to be a great boom in the total number of scores a few weeks after reopening?

i cant wait.

why does it cost $100,000? is the funds for purchasing music or for the web and server?