The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

at the very least, can we get an estimate of how many weeks it will be? maybe a weekly progress update would put many of us at ease too...
We can't answer that, because we don't know yet.

I asked Feldmahler myself a week ago, this is the same response he gave me.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Yagan Kiely wrote:We can't answer that, because we don't know yet.

I asked Feldmahler myself a week ago, this is the same response he gave me.
Aye... I suspect, once the research is finished and we start the plan, it will be fairly swift. But the research is the long and unpredictable part. :-/
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

To the people who are getting impatient and frustrated over this, please consider the amount of time and work going to getting IMSLP back online, and it doesn't happen overnight. Plus, put yourself in the administrator's shoes, would you rather make promises that you can't keep? What will other people think about you and your credibility?

Please consider this.
Samuca
regular poster

Post by Samuca »

[quote="Vivaldi"]To the people who are getting impatient and frustrated over this, please consider the amount of time and work going to getting IMSLP back online, and it doesn't happen overnight. Plus, put yourself in the administrator's shoes, would you rather make promises that you can't keep? What will other people think about you and your credibility?

Please consider this.[/quote]

I indeed agree with Vivaldi, I guess He's right, we got to be patient if we want the best. Remembering that "Rome was not built in a day", so, if we want the great IMSLP to be rebuilt and established, it won't take just a day(a moment). Ok!
Sam@
brthrjon

It's been much more than 1 day

Post by brthrjon »

All-
I am appreciative and thankful for all of the effort, ideas risks etc... of the imslp guys.

However, there are some things in the database i'd personally like to get.

My question: Since we agree that all of the is in the public domain, why can't you give up control of the shared resource (the scores) by raring and uploading the entire database to alt.binaries.sheet-music while you are fixing software, making legal arrangements etc... so that others can get to the shared resource?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Because the daterbase hosted at alt.binaries.sheet-music would have Legal issues yet attended to. The legal issues have to be taken care of before any rebuilding.
brthrjon

It's been much more than 1 day

Post by brthrjon »

Yagan,
Thanks for your response.

I do not intend to rant or argue with you, only to respond to your point. Please excuse this post if it gives that impression. I will make these last points and will leave it to others to post their opinion. Again, i recognize the effort and service that the developers of imslp provide and I am thankful.

Frankly and respectfully, I disagree with your use of the word "hosting" in reference to the binary news group alt.binaries.sheet-music. It's just a news group. Newsgroups are having zero legal issues with distributing "I Am Legend" and "The Golden Compass" - two movies not even out publically on DVD yet. I'm not saying its legal, I'm just saying it is currently happening, and there are no legal repercussions for "hosting" these illegal files.

Therefore, its hard to see a legal reason for not posting scores which we all agree are in the public domain in News groups.

Frankly again, it leaves me wonder what the real reason for not sharing is.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Frankly and respectfully, I disagree with your use of the word "hosting" in reference to the binary news group alt.binaries.sheet-music. It's just a news group. Newsgroups are having zero legal issues with distributing "I Am Legend" and "The Golden Compass" - two movies not even out publically on DVD yet. I'm not saying its legal, I'm just saying it is currently happening, and there are no legal repercussions for "hosting" these illegal files.
IMSLP is still being watched by UE, any small hint of using networks such as the one you are talking about (which utilizes illegal file sharing), they will jump at. We can not take a chance especially with such places.
Therefore, its hard to see a legal reason for not posting scores which we all agree are in the public domain in News groups.

Frankly again, it leaves me wonder what the real reason for not sharing is.
The law for copyright is very extensive, it contains many loopholes that UE could employ that we need to take into account. IMSLP is cataloguing every score, and either putting it in the US category, or the Canadian. This needs to be completed before any sharing of the archive will begin.
Posting in groups that openly share illegal works has a negative effect on IMSLP’s reputation, especially with UE. Yes, we may all agree they are in public domain in Canada, but they need to be sorted into the US server if US copyright, or the Canadian server if Canadian copyright.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Well, there's nothing stopping someone from dumping the whole set of scores there, saying it's all from IMSLP and stuff, even if it's not officially connected with the site.

Or making a torrent of it for that matter (which may not be a bad idea, actually, once the site opens, to make a torrent of all the PDFs, at least ones that fall 'firmly' into PD)

-Lala-
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Melodia wrote:Well, there's nothing stopping someone from dumping the whole set of scores there, saying it's all from IMSLP and stuff, even if it's not officially connected with the site.
Except that no one but Feldmahler and the other admins have access to it... (And thus, if something like that were to happen, blame could be squarely placed upon IMSLP, which is more unneeded trouble.)
Or making a torrent of it for that matter (which may not be a bad idea, actually, once the site opens, to make a torrent of all the PDFs, at least ones that fall 'firmly' into PD)
That is one of my personal objectives (when the site reopens).
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

IMSLP is still being watched by UE, any small hint of using networks such as the one you are talking about (which utilizes illegal file sharing), they will jump at. We can not take a chance especially with such places.
Although the dust seem to have settled, you can be sure that UE is still keeping an eye on IMSLP, even though nothing seems to be taking place on IMSLP's part at the moment.

The only analogy that I can think of is like IMSLP is out on parole, and the slightest hint of IMSLP doing anything contrary to UE's interest will trigger another wave of warnings and maybe lawsuits from them. Of course, IMSLP has done absolutely nothing wrong, this is just an analogy, and is just my personal opinion on the circumstances involving IMSLP and UE.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

emeraldimp wrote:
Except that no one but Feldmahler and the other admins have access to it... (And thus, if something like that were to happen, blame could be squarely placed upon IMSLP, which is more unneeded trouble.).
Well of course not NOW, unless someone decided to do it randomly and had them all before. Granted, with the way the site is (was?) designed, unless there's some hole to access a raw DIR of the database, it's not easy to get all at once -- requires a LOT of browsing, even with DownloadThemAll! or DL managers.

But it could still theoretically be done. Of course, it wouldn't be illegal since it's all PD anyway...

-Lala-
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

PD in Canada of course. But what if one of the scores downloaded happens to be one whose copyright status is disputed by UE?
bounci.rabbit.123

Post by bounci.rabbit.123 »

Just a question:

How large is the database anyways? I imagine it to be several GB at least....
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Feldmahler SQL database is ~750MB uncompressed, 15MB with 7z compression
Feldmahler the images are ~35GB
So it is quite large.