The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

bounci.rabbit.123

Post by bounci.rabbit.123 »

Amazing what 7z compression can do. :)
Well its still small enough to be completely downloaded and stored on an external hard drive, which is good.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

emeraldimp wrote:
Or making a torrent of it for that matter (which may not be a bad idea, actually, once the site opens, to make a torrent of all the PDFs, at least ones that fall 'firmly' into PD)
That is one of my personal objectives (when the site reopens).
Let's make that an IMSLP objective as well ;-) From even before IMSLP was shut down I had been planning public IMSLP backups, though sadly it wasn't implemented before IMSLP closure. Since you have contact with me on IRC emeraldimp, lets discuss this on IRC.
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

So as long as these music files are public domain, putting them up online as a torrent or P2P should pose no legal implications for IMSLP?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I assume there would be two seperate torrents, one for US, and one for Canada.

And of course, that will be fine after IMSLP gets back up.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Yagan Kiely wrote:I assume there would be two seperate torrents, one for US, and one for Canada.
Details remain unspecified, but yes, there wouldn't be one for only US or only Canada.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well... all modern BT clients support selective downloading, so you can select the files to download. Having the files all in one torrent has the advantage that it is easier to maintain and we don't have duplicate files. Details remain to be disclosed to my own mind too ;)
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

This may sound premature, but would it be more convenient to split the files to multiple torrents, rather than one big torrent file? The torrents can be categorized, for example by composition type or composers. Of course, the disadvantage would be more maintenance and the risk of duplicate files.

The thing about one large torrent file is that if you need only several files, you would need to select like mad the ones you don't want to download.
brthrjon

This might get much more simple, soon

Post by brthrjon »

Did you catch this?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 ... right.html

Off topic, apropos of nothing, and totally my opinion:

1. Universal Edition and their ilk know that it is just a matter of time till they can't make any money of PD.

2. Their strategy now is to make the stream last as long as possible.

3. They are going to sue anyone they have to the lengthen the amount of time.

4. They're waiting for IMSLP to come back up for their next law suit, REGARDLESS of what IMSLP does (see point 2). As we have said in the past, they can sue a ham sandwich for having pork in it, if they want.

5. The world having no access to the IMSLP files (especially those for which there are no copyright argument whatever, anywhere) serves UE's interest.

6. The admins of IMSLP (who are keeping control of the files) know all of this.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Where are you getting that information from? :?

It is actually arguable that having completely copyright UE scores hosted on IMSLP would actually improve their business.

There will always be new compositions that are getting performed. UE make most of there money off performance rights - not the score.

With the backing of Gutenberg, any legal action can be dealt with, and in the case of UE, won.

We are not aware of that.

There is no conspiracy, every scrap of information that we are sure of, we tell the public.
lcrighton

Re: This might get much more simple, soon

Post by lcrighton »

Io la Musica son, ch'ai dolci accenti
So far tranquillo ogni turbato core,
Et or di nobil ira et or d'amore
Poss'infiammar le più gelate menti.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Vivaldi wrote:This may sound premature, but would it be more convenient to split the files to multiple torrents, rather than one big torrent file? The torrents can be categorized, for example by composition type or composers. Of course, the disadvantage would be more maintenance and the risk of duplicate files.
Well, from experience (used to fiddle around with BT software for fun) I know that smaller torrents have many more issues than larger torrents: they tend to die earlier and even seeding them usually doesn't produce the life-expectancy that you would like. There's indeed logic behind it, mainly because of people being lazy and not wanting to have several torrents run at once. Plus, it helps with the distribution of load.
The thing about one large torrent file is that if you need only several files, you would need to select like mad the ones you don't want to download.
Oh they will be organized into subfolders, so you can just select those :)
Vivaldi
active poster

Re: This might get much more simple, soon

Post by Vivaldi »

brthrjon wrote:Did you catch this?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 ... right.html
Just wondering what are the legal ramifications of this to IMSLP? If it involves the length of copyright protection of works in Canada (life+50), the status of some scores in terms of their copyright would have to be considered before being uploaded to IMSLP.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

If they do (which I hope not) restrict to 70 years, I hope they follow Australia which did not make it retroactive.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

By retroactive you mean that works published before the copyright amendments can have their copyrights enforced according to the amendment? Would that mean, for example, a work which goes to the PD last year, but because of this, the copyright will be extended (for 20 more years in your example) and that would mean it is no longer PD until the 2027?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Yes, that is my belief of it.