Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

gchirag
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

The return of IMSLP

Post by gchirag »

I know and other many people here on the forum cannot wait for IMSLP to return.

Could you tell me what is going on? When is the situation with IMSLP and what will happen?

I will be very happy to know.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I have received numerous offers to help IMSLP via e-mail. As you may know as forum users, both Kevin Rattai (viewtopic.php?t=717) and Paul Fleury (viewtopic.php?t=720) have offered to host IMSLP. There is also a much earlier help offer by Project Gutenberg Canada to host IMSLP. Unfortunately I am very tight on time, so I am still in the process of responding to all the help that have been offered.

Also, I have received earlier today a help offer from Richard Stallman, whom many of you undoubtedly know, and I will be responding very soon, if not by tonight then certainly tomorrow.

The idea right now is to find a way to pool together the various offers of help, so that IMSLP will come back up, and stay up. This process will take time, but hope is certainly not lost. Even though both the IMSLP contributor who is helping me in this matter and myself are very much overloaded with work even without this incident, we will find time to hopefully clarify the roadmap within the next month.
chamberpianist

Resurrection of Forums

Post by chamberpianist »

Thank you very much for resurrecting the forums - I really thought that this
was an indication that IMSLP will not come back after all.

There are many people like me out there who cannot wait for a return of IMSLP, who would be willing to help, many of which have contributed to IMSLP and invested a lot of their time to make IMSLP what it was until October, 23rd.

I really would like to urge the team of IMSLP admins to accept the offers for help to resurrect IMSLP soon - it was one of the very few sites on the internet, which provided high quality stuff and a place to find really rare stuff - I believe a European (or US) based site with reduced amount of material compared to what is allowed under Canadian law is really much better than nothing.

I accept that the resurrection, considering the legal pitfalls, does take time, however it would be really good to have an update of the status every now and then, so people do not loose faith (the drying out of the forums may be a sign for that).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I believe a European (or US) based site with reduced amount of material compared to what is allowed under Canadian law is really much better than nothing.
It's not better in the slightest, please... just be patient.
I accept that the resurrection, considering the legal pitfalls, does take time, however it would be really good to have an update of the status every now and then, so people do not loose faith (the drying out of the forums may be a sign for that).
Basically, you shouldn't have to wait for the details on how IMSLP will come back. It is not on a knife-edge, or even close. It IS coming back, there's no question.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

so people do not loose faith (the drying out of the forums may be a sign for that).
There may be fewer posts on the forums...this does not necessarily mean that people are losing faith...

Maybe it's because we've all managed to get the "rant" out of our system, and are quietly concentrating on accumulating more scores, so that when IMSLP returns we can start up our contributions again... :wink:

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The issue is getting fixed, regardless of UE now, what can people say?
stadler

return of IMSLP

Post by stadler »

Yes, we must find a way to overcome absurd threats, is there not a way to find a compromise at first before rebuilding the whole site (if that is the plan at all ?)

You have all my support anyway, all the people I'm working with in the music field were totally convinced by IMSLP.

Stadler.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

There are no plans he bring up half a site.
we must find a way to overcome absurd threats
Ignoring them, and creating firewalls to stop it from happening again.
before rebuilding the whole site (if that is the plan at all ?)
We don't have to rebuild it. As soon as hosting and domain ownership is acquired, we just have to upload exactly what the database was before it went online.
piklz

Post by piklz »

We don't have to rebuild it. As soon as hosting and domain ownership is acquired, we just have to upload exactly what the database was before it went online.
eta?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

By ETA, do you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_time_of_arrival ?

If so, we don't know as of yet.

There was an erratum in my post up above, "we just have to upload exactly what the database was before it went online" is meant to read "we just have to upload exactly what the database was before it went offline".
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Thanks for clearing that up. I was initally confused by the statement.
Justin

Post by Justin »

keep up the hard works guys...
i'm looking forward to the reborn of IMSLP :)
ericko7

Post by ericko7 »

Please, let us know how can we help to support and/or relaunch the IMSLP. Of course, earn money for the quality of the music works that you created is worthy, but this always must be a second matter: after all, the top ideal for a music composer (even over the $) is to be known, is to be known for its music, no matter who plays it. The IMSLP is the best site as far as I surfed the web that help to share those kind of music masterpieces. I hope this wait don't took any longer and the project return very soon.

:D
Shalom!!!
monteverdi

happy New Year

Post by monteverdi »

Happy New Year to all (former) users and lovers of IMSLP.
I had hoped the new year would bring better news about the return of the IMSLP ... but yet we still have to be patient, I suppose...!?!?

I'd love to see it again!
macula

Post by macula »

My apologies if this question has been thoroughly answered already; I have been unable to find such an answer in the forums anyway:

Why don't the administrators of IMSLP provide us those scores that are undeniably immune to copyright legislation? I don't think that UE would or could object to the posting of the music of Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, Handel, Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Mandelssohn, etc. Please, give us the public domain classics back while the community tries to figure out a way to resurrect the rest of the collection!!!

Otherwise, IMSLP and its administrators truly give the impression that a hidden agenda is lurking behind the closure of the site, and that the UE legal threats served as a convenient cover up for other motivations. If this is an unfair impression, then it needs to be proven so with a convincing and concise explanation.

Many of us, I am sure, are looking forward to such an explanation.

Thank you.