The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

MJ-Valladares, please read the FAQ on the temporary Wiki. It explains why removing said files isn't adequate.
brthrjon

Contributions

Post by brthrjon »

As I have no scores to contribute I guess all I can do is offer up some dough. How does one go about contributing money to the project?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'm not sure on specifics, but if there is going to be a donation ability it will be at once or soon after the restart.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yep, like Yagan says :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Doeron

Torrent links

Post by Doeron »

Actually I don't know how torrent servers work, but maybe it is possible to offer links to torrent files on the imslp.org-pages? Consequently only the text, not the pdf files, would be downloaded from the imslp-servers -> less traffic -> cheaper.

--Doeron
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Yagan Kiely wrote:http://opinion.latimes.com/bitplayer/20 ... cts-c.html

If anyone is interested.
While this is indeed good news as far as file sharing is concerned, I'm treading this with cautioned optimism. Yagan, what do you suppose changed the judge's mind? It can't be as simple as discrepancies between the description of the defendant's deposition in the plaintiff's original complaint, and what was actually in the deposition, as listed out in the comment dated 29th April 2008, can it?
horn_0079110

Post by horn_0079110 »

Why the www.free-scores.com can workout normally but cant imslp???
Couldnt u make it like free-scores.com?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Like I have said before that, I did not create IMSLP so that people can take what they can and not care about the site afterwards. I created IMSLP to create a community of music lovers who are willing to promote the education and enjoyment of classical music, which we believe is an extremely wonderful thing. Unfortunately, this goal is impossible if we simply cave into all legal demands, regardless of whether they are legitimate.
horn_0079110

Post by horn_0079110 »

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to say, if free-scores can be legal, then IMSLP supposed can work like them. If many people find that Imslp was a big source of scores, course they wont neglect this site after they got what they want, I advertised Imslp in my webpage, this was the first time I did for a website, because I like this site so much and wouldnt afford to let it vanish like that. Hope I made myself clear, I did not know much about what had really happen to the site, so if I am mistaken for anything please correct me. Millions of thanks here 8)
Sergeï
regular poster

Post by Sergeï »

imslp wrote:Like I have said before that, I did not create IMSLP so that people can take what they can and not care about the site afterwards. I created IMSLP to create a community of music lovers who are willing to promote the education and enjoyment of classical music, which we believe is an extremely wonderful thing. Unfortunately, this goal is impossible if we simply cave into all legal demands, regardless of whether they are legitimate.
The main problem of legal demands is that, though the piece in itself falls into the legal domain after X years - depending on the country - the interpretation does not. Take Gielen's Beethoven Symphonies. Wonderful. But they are by no means readily accessible. That's just how it is.

But that is besides the point. What could be done here, and that I haven't yet seen done anywhere else, is a real discussion about music, between music fans. There is SO MUCH to say about so many different pieces, composers, interpreters, that 100 new topics a day here would not cover them. And THAT is something that nobody could ever call illegal.

As for scores, I have to admit I don't know. As a violinist, I've always had to pay for my scores, and whenever my orchestra played something, we had to pay also. Perhaps that's just French law, I don't know.
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yes, French law appears to be slightly different (I do not know the details), though let me remark here that free-scores.com is actually a French site.

But that's not the main point. The main point is that Universal Edition is also going after scores that are public domain all over the world. This is part of what we are trying to fight. Caving in does not help.

We are trying hard to prevent the day when copyright length is longer than reasonable life expectancy of paper (almost here already), and then having publishers claim copyright over reprints, similar to what UE is doing for Mahler (in fact, several UE Mahler scores on IMSLP are reprints of earlier publications pre-UE). That would be the day when the public domain completely collapses. Of course, this will happen slowly over time so we don't feel the pain. Just like how copyright length increased from 2-3 years after publication to almost 100 years after publication on average over the last 4 centuries.
Crystalviolin

Post by Crystalviolin »

Thank goodness! Restart ASAP! :D
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Will all the content on the site before it was removed come back automatically, or will the uploaders have to redo the process again?
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

All content will be as before. Only a minority of files might not be available initially.