The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

This is what Faldmahler said about the source.
And regarding the source of Daphnis' quote, it is from a section of IMSLP that currently only the admins have access to, for copyright tagging purposes.
On a related note, will the new IMSLP be allowed to use the original domain name of www.imslp.org or will it have to be changed (and use country specific domains like .us or .ca)?
Maybe the US one would have www.imslp.org and the Canadian would have www.imslp.org.ca. This might also satisfy publishers as most would go to the more obvious URL.
But that does give bias to the US one... which I don't exactly jump at the idea of.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

ArcticWind7 wrote:Maybe the US one would have www.imslp.org and the Canadian would have www.imslp.org.ca. This might also satisfy publishers as most would go to the more obvious URL.
But that does give bias to the US one... which I don't exactly jump at the idea of.
Maybe imslp.org could be the 'portal', with links to, eg, imslp.org.us and imslp.org.ca (or whatever).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Good point, that could work. Obviously there would need to be something to make the portal look nicer than just having two links :P but I like it.
Rachmaninoff

Post by Rachmaninoff »

I don't know about the technicalities, but maybe something like Wikipedia?
(en.imslp.org, ca.imslp.org, etc.)
nerd011235

Post by nerd011235 »

Speaking of Wikipedia, I was thinking, would it be feasable to add the IMSLP as a "sister project" in the same vein as Wikisource or Wikiquote?
That would make for more seamless integration as a whole and it would give a whole host of other benefits.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Into WikiFoundations? Simply: No.

Wiki do not want that. IMSLP is too specific. And Wiki havn't offered and will not accept an offer.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Rachmaninoff wrote:I don't know about the technicalities, but maybe something like Wikipedia?
(en.imslp.org, ca.imslp.org, etc.)
That is eminently feasible... even easy (and the servers can be entirely different). Dunno whether that's the desired direction, though.
theoneandonly

Post by theoneandonly »

Sorry, but when ist it online again?!?!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Sorry, but when ist it online again?!?!
When will it be back online? We don't know yet, but it is getting closer.
rscottwhite

Continued good luck with your hard work

Post by rscottwhite »

I remember finding IMSLP in Mid October '07, and actually downloaded Bach organ preludes and fugues for two organ students that day. One week later it was closed!

For people like me who had just discovered this site it's frustrating! That's why it's gratifying seeing the hard work being done in trying to reopen it.

I would not like to be in the legal part of all this; as mentioned many times it should never have come down to a web site closure.

Although it may be hard to see, there are so many people out here supporting you through what must seem to be an impossibly high mountain of work. Keep going, it's going to be worth it.
R. Scott White, staff accompanist
Keene State College, Music Dept.
http://keene.facebook.com/profile.php?id=872210242
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hang in there. IMSLP will be back up.
vivaldi85

Post by vivaldi85 »

I think more should be done than translating the opening letter in all the major languages in the world. It seems that you're just pronging IMSLP's return since nothing more than the translation of the opening letters has been accomplished. You've left us in the dark about what is currently going on and I think IMSLP was entirely taken down for the attention than for legal reasons.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

* 22 January 2008 - The roadmap for the revival of IMSLP has been set. Like all good things, this may take a while, but we will persevere. The revival of IMSLP involves the incorporation of a non-profit IMSLP Foundation (exact name not decided yet, though we do have one in mind; do feel free to suggest one if you think of any) in the US. Because of this, help on the following points would be much welcome:

1. Files public domain in Canada but not the US do not need to be removed; however, accurate tagging of US public domain status is crucial. This especially goes for files tagged "Verified" or "Checked" prior to the splitting of the copyright tag into three jurisdictions; these files are currently tagged V/U/U (Verified/Unknown/Unknown) or C/U/U by default.
2. I welcome any and all help with either non-profit incorporation (in the US and Canada) or non-profit corporate maintenance (taxes, accounting, etc) offered, or even just any suggestions or words of wisdom (preferably from prior experience). Any help with obtaining charity status is also very welcome.

* In other news, I finally won the battle with my laptop (who wants to retire), and will be uploading IMSLP v0.7 soon, most notably with the newly designed multi-file template Smile Had finished it before Christmas, but never got a chance to upload it.
You've left us in the dark about what is currently going on and I think IMSLP was entirely taken down for the attention than for legal reasons.
I can assure you, this was not the case.

The reason you are left slightly in the dark is because we do not want to say something, then a week later have to eat our words. We ourselves are not entirely sure (we are more-so now however) of the situation. As soon as something becomes concrete we tell you. As with the top quote from earlier in this thread.
It seems that you're just pronging IMSLP's return since nothing more than the translation of the opening letters has been accomplished.
Again, as in the top quote, more has been accomplished.
Stevemc

Post by Stevemc »

at the very least, can we get an estimate of how many weeks it will be? maybe a weekly progress update would put many of us at ease too...
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

hehehe... :lol:

now you folks know how I feel when patients ask me impossible questions like...

"so, how much longer do I have to live, doc?"

about as easy to answer! :?

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis