Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Hi emeraldimp,
I like the idea of setting up a google or yahoo group, but would you need to contact Feldmahler about this since he is the only person who knows exactly the recent developments of getting IMSLP back online?
imslp3

Post by imslp3 »

I'm also quite partial to this idea. Unfortunately I may not be always present for the rest of this week and the next, but do send me details and ideas as to what the group will be about :)
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

The only problem I forsee is that these groups cannot be accessed by people who do not have a google or Yahoo account (like me). But that's a minor problem, just create a new google or Yahoo account :)
This sounds like a good idea by the minute.
Doeron

Access for non-google-email addresses

Post by Doeron »

Are you sure that people without google account cannot become a member of such an email list? I am a member of a yahoo group without having a yahoo email address. Maybe the general terms and conditions changed?

If it is really just possible for google members to get access to an google mailinglist, I can ask at my university if it would be possible for me to create a mailing list.

Bye, Johannes
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Ok, here's the scoop:

http://groups.google.com/group/imslp-announce is the announcement group. Its purpose is for announcements. It is completely open with the exception of the subscriber list, which can only be viewed by list admins. The only accounts who can post to the list are admins.

You can subscribe with your google account (just go to the group, sign in, and click 'join group') or by sending an email to imslp-announce-subscribe AT googlegroups DOT com . You'll get a reply to confirm your subscription with a URL to go to, and that should be it!

I haven't created any other email lists yet since I don't see the need (though I'll be happy to if/when there is).
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

There are also, it seems, RSS and atom feeds if you don't want to actually subscribe or don't like email.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Are you sure that people without google account cannot become a member of such an email list? I am a member of a yahoo group without having a yahoo email address. Maybe the general terms and conditions changed?
You're right. I'm unsure about this one since I haven't tried it before. But since emeraldimp mentioned that we can use your e-mail (whether or not it is gmail), I think it's possible.

By the way, what does RSS mean?
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Vivaldi wrote:By the way, what does RSS mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Thank you very much, emeraldimp.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

I know i have not posted for a long time.

I hope IMSLP is up and running again very soon.

I believe IMSLP is a wonderful thing for this world.
Theo Delight

Post by Theo Delight »

macula wrote: Why don't the administrators of IMSLP provide us those scores that are undeniably immune to copyright legislation? I don't think that UE would or could object to the posting of the music of Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, Handel, Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Mandelssohn, etc. Please, give us the public domain classics back while the community tries to figure out a way to resurrect the rest of the collection!!!

Otherwise, IMSLP and its administrators truly give the impression that a hidden agenda is lurking behind the closure of the site, and that the UE legal threats served as a convenient cover up for other motivations. If this is an unfair impression, then it needs to be proven so with a convincing and concise explanation.
That is certainly the claim made by Herr Irons at UE: http://www.uemusic.at/truman/en_templat ... f_id=14921

But does anyone still believe anything he might claim?

To quote the end of the diatribe by Herr Irons:
Jonathan Irons wrote:
Dr House from the TV series said, quoting the philosopher ‘Jagger’: “You can’t always get what you want.”
Indeed you can't, Herr Irons; I'm quite sure you did not want your employer to risk becoming an international pariah along the lines of the ridiculous $cientology cult.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Hi,

May i know the progress of IMSLP. I would be happy to know how IMSLP is going. I know that it has a lot of support.

It would be wonderful to have IMSLP back on the Internet again.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I would also enjoy Feldmahler to, at the very least, post in this one thread once a week? Would that be possible?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Quoted from the front-page:
* 22 January 2008 - The roadmap for the revival of IMSLP has been set. Like all good things, this may take a while, but we will persevere. The revival of IMSLP involves the incorporation of a non-profit IMSLP Foundation (exact name not decided yet, though we do have one in mind; do feel free to suggest one if you think of any) in the US. Because of this, help on the following points would be much welcome:

1. Files public domain in Canada but not the US do not need to be removed; however, accurate tagging of US public domain status is crucial. This especially goes for files tagged "Verified" or "Checked" prior to the splitting of the copyright tag into three jurisdictions; these files are currently tagged V/U/U (Verified/Unknown/Unknown) or C/U/U by default.
2. I welcome any and all help with either non-profit incorporation (in the US and Canada) or non-profit corporate maintenance (taxes, accounting, etc) offered, or even just any suggestions or words of wisdom (preferably from prior experience). Any help with obtaining charity status is also very welcome.

* In other news, I finally won the battle with my laptop (who wants to retire), and will be uploading IMSLP v0.7 soon, most notably with the newly designed multi-file template :) Had finished it before Christmas, but never got a chance to upload it.
4444matthew4444

Post by 4444matthew4444 »