Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Samuca
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Wait!

Post by Samuca »

I got some pieces I would like to post as soon as Imslp reopen, such like the popular Gavotte in D by F.J. Gossec etc, I just hope they are PD and won't be rejected.
Sam@
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Since he is certainly PD, you will only have to worry about the edition and any major editorial changes. Have a look out for that.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

By the way, I need a group of people willing to help with a torrent. Torrent is going to be fairly large (~20GB).
Cillian64
regular poster

Post by Cillian64 »

Would the torrent be segmented in a way that less than the whole thing could be downloaded and seeded? I'd love to help, but don't have the bandwidth / hdd space for the whole 20 gigs.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

I've just worked out that midnight July 1 (Canadian time) is about 2 p.m. Tuesday July 2 (Melbourne, Australia time). So it looks like I'll be at work - maybe just as well, if everybody logs on and tries to upload/download at the same time, it will be chaos.

I'll check in later that night (our time). I can't wait to see who uploads what.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

By the way, I need a group of people willing to help with a torrent. Torrent is going to be fairly large (~20GB).
I can help, though I won't seed all the time my 'unlimited' broadband is only 12 gbps.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Cillian64 wrote:Would the torrent be segmented in a way that less than the whole thing could be downloaded and seeded? I'd love to help, but don't have the bandwidth / hdd space for the whole 20 gigs.
You can select the files you want to download from the torrent in all modern torrent downloaders.
Yagan Kiely wrote:I can help, though I won't seed all the time my 'unlimited' broadband is only 12 gbps.
I'm going to guess that it is 12 mbps... 12 gbps is rather, fast ;) I'm pretty sure some small countries have made do with a single 12 gbps line...

That said, my line is 3 mbps. Unless you mean 12 GB/mo, I'm pretty sure your line is faster than mine by a lot...

And the entire concept of bittorrent is such that there is no need for fast seeders; we can easily just have many slow seeders. In fact, having seeders who are too fast is detrimental to the torrent, since it would allow downloaders to upload less, which would hasten the death of the torrent itself.

Even though the torrent is ~20GB, I'm pretty sure that even a single 3 mbps seeder is more than enough. The question is who is willing to dedicate a few hours (or 1-2 days) of their time to seeding (of course, you can still do other things in the process).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Unless you mean 12 GB/mo, I'm pretty sure your line is faster than mine by a lot...
yes I mean that :P
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Les Noces is actually P.D. in the USA. It's in the current Kalmus catalog (A2727), which is a reprint of the original edition (Chester). However, Stravinsky (d. 1971) is definitely not public domain in Canada, where IMSLP is hosted. Please don't post Les Noces at IMSLP once we re-open - I'll just have to take it down.

Also, while I'm on the topic of new scores to be added, I'd like to remind everyone that you can help the review process a great deal by including as much information as you can find on the score being uploaded. It takes the review team more time if they have to open each score to see what it is, how many pages it has, etc. Page counts are an excellent example of a simple thing you should always include when uploading a score. I can often tell which particular engraving an item is by simply observing the page count, as it's not often that two engravings of any given piece of music require the same number of pages (though they sometimes do).

Also, please take time to carefully review the instructions for contributors, the Historical Publication Info section, etc. The copyright reviewers and others have taken much time to construct publisher pages which include lists of plate numbers to aid in the dating of scores, samples of typical engraving and typographical styles used by particular publishers (even our very favorite Viennese music publisher), etc. We've nailed more than a few cases of copyfraud this way, and we expect to do more. More info included on uploads means less time spent by the review team - ultimately resulting in a faster appearance for that score you'd like to share with everyone. Lastly, WELCOME BACK EVERYONE!
trimethoxy

Post by trimethoxy »

imslp wrote:By the way, I need a group of people willing to help with a torrent. Torrent is going to be fairly large (~20GB).
i have quite a bit of space, so i can torrent something that large.
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

Hey, I can seed as well.
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

im curious...how would the torrent change if new files are added? how would ppl who have already downloaded the torrent be notified that there are additions?

considering the fact that additions are constantly made, wouldnt the torrent be transmuted constantly? in that case, is a torrent really feasible?

or is there something about torrents which i dont know? (i think that's the case here :lol: )
Cillian64
regular poster

Post by Cillian64 »

As far as my knowledge of bittorrent goes, you're absolutely correct, and it is really rather impossible to alter a torrent, short of creating an entirely new one. However, I would presume this is known, and the torrent will be of something static (Or I don't know quite as much about bittorrent as I think I do)
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Well, you do have to make new torrents, that's true. However, as long as everything has the name name and size, you can seed any old content with the new torrent. You also with most clients can choose to DL files of your choice, so if you just want new stuff, or only by X-composer, etc, it's simple.

-Lala-
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

That doesn't answer my question about how existing leechers are notified about new submissions.
Maybe they can subscribe to a notification system on the website. Then they can get e-mail notifications about new torrents?