Naxos Music Library

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

jolus
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Naxos Music Library

Post by jolus »

Access via Naxos' NML app is now lost as well. What a pity.
wieczorekdavis

Post by wieczorekdavis »

Thank you for the honesty. It was an amazing offer while it lasted, wasn't it!

I have to say that on the basis of what you've said, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable subscribing directly to NML at this point. They did give me a lot, but they also seem dishonest. Perhaps a Naxos representative would like to post here if there is a more innocent explanation for what happened?

I have some feature requests for the new IMSLP player! Could we have gapless playback? (Or even just nearly gapless with a slight click would be cool.) And maybe long-term an Android app, though I appreciate that's a huuuuuuge undertaking :)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

even the limited NML/IMSLP that allows me just to hear (some of the) works available at IMSLP (edit: -some- workpages will rejoin the list of Naxos-available pages if one notices they haven't been edited in a long time and fixes that, maybe by adding a movements header or whatnot) - is still a feature I expect to use often anyway and even recommend (for what it still is..) because of how much beauty still is there, but I really will miss the availability of the wider NML that gave me access to many recordings of works that were too modern/etc/etc to be available on IMSLP- I often inter-loaned things via my library specifically after checking to see if recordings of them were available over NML (several such things I have out right now that I will now have to check on YouTube which if it has them probably has them less legally if at all.) There's still loads of NML recordings (and other recordings) to listen to on the site as things are, I don't deny it (and again, will enjoy it- despite appearances, I'm too positive of mind not to enjoy such a resource made available to me, and to still appreciate it: yes, there's still a ton of it and I'm still looking forward to exploring it, one way or the other). I just don't understand the need to restrict listening to the page Naxos tabs, and will miss the wider feature.

It's strange that it asks me to subscribe when I try clicking/mouse-clicking on the CDs, though, as though "no further until you have a subscription sir!"; I already have a (gift) subscription... odd.
lworthin

Post by lworthin »

wieczorekdavis wrote: I have some feature requests for the new IMSLP player! Could we have gapless playback? (Or even just nearly gapless with a slight click would be cool.) And maybe long-term an Android app, though I appreciate that's a huuuuuuge undertaking :)
Indeed, I don't want to add undue programming burdens (being a web programmer myself!), but is there a standard place to submit feature requests? For example, back in the day (that is, a few days ago), I enjoyed going to NML and browsing and playing whatever was new. I would love a "New" or a type of semi-random browse function. Also, playlists would be cool. The common thread that links these to features is that I would like a way of getting to recordings in just a click or two.

In any case, I appreciate your efforts and your frankness in this issue.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Notenschreiber wrote:And informations from booklets are not accessible.
We have booklets for about half the albums and which I'm planning to put up.
kmoconno wrote:Not to mention my hundreds of hours worth of playlists are now inaccessible... :x :evil:
All the IMSLP apps will have access to the whole licensed collection and will have full playlist functionality (including sharing), though unfortunately we cannot recover the playlists on Naxos. Lite iPad version is already out ("IMSLP Browser"), full iPad & lite Android tablet versions to come late September. Phone versions/the rest will come in the next couple months.
jolus wrote:Access via Naxos' NML app is now lost as well. What a pity.
The entire licensed collection will be accessible via all IMSLP apps.
wieczorekdavis wrote:Thank you for the honesty. It was an amazing offer while it lasted, wasn't it!

I have to say that on the basis of what you've said, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable subscribing directly to NML at this point. They did give me a lot, but they also seem dishonest. Perhaps a Naxos representative would like to post here if there is a more innocent explanation for what happened?
I for one won't mind if their licensing director actually returned my calls.
I have some feature requests for the new IMSLP player! Could we have gapless playback? (Or even just nearly gapless with a slight click would be cool.)
Complete gapless playback is surprisingly hard, though what we have should be much more gapless than Naxos's player. Also, it could be easier with apps than having to wrestle with the browser, so maybe that's the way to go.
And maybe long-term an Android app, though I appreciate that's a huuuuuuge undertaking :)
Lite version of the Android tablet app that has full access to the licensed recordings is coming out in less than a month, full & phone versions to come shortly after.
Eric wrote:even the limited NML/IMSLP that allows me just to hear (some of the) works available at IMSLP (edit: -some- workpages will rejoin the list of Naxos-available pages if one notices they haven't been edited in a long time and fixes that, maybe by adding a movements header or whatnot) - is still a feature I expect to use often anyway and even recommend (for what it still is..) because of how much beauty still is there, but I really will miss the availability of the wider NML that gave me access to many recordings of works that were too modern/etc/etc to be available on IMSLP- I often inter-loaned things via my library specifically after checking to see if recordings of them were available over NML (several such things I have out right now that I will now have to check on YouTube which if it has them probably has them less legally if at all.)
Maybe you can use their free 15-minute preview feature? Don't know if they have any daily limits.
There's still loads of NML recordings (and other recordings) to listen to on the site as things are, I don't deny it (and again, will enjoy it- despite appearances, I'm too positive of mind not to enjoy such a resource made available to me, and to still appreciate it: yes, there's still a ton of it and I'm still looking forward to exploring it, one way or the other). I just don't understand the need to restrict listening to the page Naxos tabs, and will miss the wider feature.
Yeah, that's just the limitation of the setup we have now given we didn't expect this to happen, can/will be expanded in the future.
It's strange that it asks me to subscribe when I try clicking/mouse-clicking on the CDs, though, as though "no further until you have a subscription sir!"; I already have a (gift) subscription... odd.
Hmm, I assume you are logged in? If you have any subscription issues you should contact customersupport@imslp.org
lworthin wrote:Indeed, I don't want to add undue programming burdens (being a web programmer myself!), but is there a standard place to submit feature requests?
You can post them in the Feature Requests forum. The apps also have a separate feature request submission form in the Settings tab.
For example, back in the day (that is, a few days ago), I enjoyed going to NML and browsing and playing whatever was new. I would love a "New" or a type of semi-random browse function. Also, playlists would be cool. The common thread that links these to features is that I would like a way of getting to recordings in just a click or two.
Nice idea, I've been meaning to add a random browse function by category. That way you can randomly get a page that has Naxos recordings on it (among other things).
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

"Maybe you can use their free 15-minute preview feature? Don't know if they have any daily limits."

Erm... does this refer to the previews at their main site (naxos.com) (when logged in- I do have a free account there) or to something that's going to happen soon here? At present, the tracks available here are fewer, and don't always correspond to full recordings (just to the pieces we have workpages of and not all of those - and not in any very predictable way), but at least they're complete tracks, not 15% (not 15-minute btw) tracks. (I'm aware I have a free IMSLP and NML account and I am very grateful for them (and reminded to enjoy them more fully not less) but people who've paid for them may be more disgruntled. Or not. Don't know! Finding out that the changes were Naxos' idea makes sense, though.)

(Yes, definitely logged in to IMSLP, first thing I checked- Still able to edit, shows me as me, etc. But also understand why one would ask, of course... will email customersupport as noted.)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I mean the one on their main site, apparently if you browse using incognito mode there's no limit to the number of previews you can request. I'm able to listen to entire tracks in the preview, not just 15%, maybe your problem is that you are logged into the free account? Try clicking the "FREE PREVIEW" image without being logged in to Naxos at all.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Two new features:
- You can now view all the booklets by clicking on the booklet icon
- You can now randomly open pages in any category, there's a random page icon near the category search box. For example, you can use it on this category to get random pages with the licensed recordings: https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Pages_w ... recordings
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Worth noting that that category is one of those dynamic categories that will "notice" pages being opened or looked at or etc. so that a lot of pages that belong in it (that have the "N" in the category listing) aren't yet in the category listing... (but will join the category if someone opens them in a browser.) (eg the size of the pages with commercial recordings cat has gone from 1533 to 1550 since I started writing this comment...)

(1715 about 30 minutes later...)
lemgab

Post by lemgab »

I am sorry to read that access to NML is not any more possible. Even if some official IMSLP staff posted a thread on this forum, I am sorry to say that this is not OK for me. When I signed for a member account two years ago, the contract was that I had access to NML in addition to IMSLP. Now it is not anymore possible, but I would have expected an official email sent by IMSLP to say that there is a problem with NML, to explain why, and to propose a compensation.

Moreover, the albums which are now proposed at IMSLP do not represent at all what is available at NML for these works. Just an example. Take the Bach cello suites. The only version from IMSLP I know and like is the album by Marc Coppey, but there is only the first suite! :( And now we cannot access to more recent works e.g. the Britten cello suites. So that really, the contract is not anymore the same! I would not put on the website: Naxos is now integrated directly into IMSLP. IMSLP gives links to some recordings from Naxos.

Last but not least, I append to see that many works from NML are available on youtube. Youtube just says ``Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of America''.
This is very frustrating! :evil:

I think that IMSLP is a very beautiful project, but this problem with NML is not very professional.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

lemgab wrote:I am sorry to read that access to NML is not any more possible. Even if some official IMSLP staff posted a thread on this forum, I am sorry to say that this is not OK for me. When I signed for a member account two years ago, the contract was that I had access to NML in addition to IMSLP. Now it is not anymore possible, but I would have expected an official email sent by IMSLP to say that there is a problem with NML, to explain why, and to propose a compensation.

Moreover, the albums which are now proposed at IMSLP do not represent at all what is available at NML for these works. Just an example. Take the Bach cello suites. The only version from IMSLP I know and like is the album by Marc Coppey, but there is only the first suite! :( And now we cannot access to more recent works e.g. the Britten cello suites. So that really, the contract is not anymore the same! I would not put on the website: Naxos is now integrated directly into IMSLP. IMSLP gives links to some recordings from Naxos.

Last but not least, I append to see that many works from NML are available on youtube. Youtube just says ``Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of America''.

I think that IMSLP is a very beautiful project, but this problem with NML is not very professional.
I think your sentiments would be more effective if you can direct them at Naxos. They are the ones who disregarded the contract and terminated NML access, and they are the ones who can restore access if they so choose.
matesic

Post by matesic »

Of course it's annoying but maybe we shouldn't be too indignant when what Naxos giveth Naxos decideth to take away again. Shostakovich for example.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The booklet icon works fine, thanks!
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

lemgab wrote:
What does this have anything to do with the situation at IMSLP at all? If Naxos wants to upload to YT so what?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Yes youtube and IMSLP are two totally different platforms.