Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

bicinium
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Naxos Music Library

Post by bicinium »

Is there anything I can do to help recordings to be added to some new work pages? For instance, Fuchs' fifth serenade is included on a CD with serenades 3 and 4 which are accessible, but No.5 isn't.

Also, there are some Viennese classical double bass concertos which have Naxos recordings I used to listen to before their work pages were created, and I wonder if those can be made available again.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

No unfortunately about a year ago, Naxos pulled out of licensing a major part of there library to the site so all we have is what is there on the site now and I don't believe its getting updated anymore. There isn't anything we can do about.
gregg

Post by gregg »

I'm listening to a recently issued album of music by Alexander Krein on the Naxos library and had the same question. Even though we can't get links direct to the tracks, I wonder whether we could somehow add a note that the pieces are available on the Naxos library and/or obtainable as part of the commercial recording.

I ask because in the UK many of us have access to the Naxos Music Library as part of our (free) public library membership - as do members of other institutions around the world. So it's not so convenient, but we can access the Naxos library independently.

In this particular case the album publisher is a small business who deserves whatever it would be worth to have their album publicised on the appropriate pages.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

It is still getting updated though, disks- released from no less than 1/2 to a year ago generally- do get added to appropriate workpages in a somewhat unpredictable way.
gregg

Post by gregg »

Thanks, Eric. The album I was listening to (TOCC0546) is not referenced for any of the Aleksandr Krein pieces in the library that are also tracks in that album. The album was released in October 2019; do you mean references to its tracks might be added some time from March to October or even later - or perhaps never? It's interesting to hear that the link to new Naxos recordings may not have been entirely cut off, but I think it would still be helpful for us to be able to add a note of such an album so that others could find it even without the neat cross-linking to the Naxos Library.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

also, if you're in the EU or somewhere with similarly life+70 copyright rules, Naxos may be paying more attention just as it's begun restricting access to recordings of (for example) Haydn symphonies (and other works of course) not first published in the US before 1925 (etc etc) for people with access to the IMSLP/Naxos hybrid ( :) ) who use it in the US. So Krein's death year (1951) could be a factor depending on where you are. (Though if you already see the other recording of the Op.12 - the cpo - that's clearly not the reason :) The score we have of Op.13 is a 1929 reprint, interestingly, though the uploader did not notice this. Hrm.)
Anyhow, I've looked through back issues of the Records International Archive and things and it seems more or less that around a half-year-ago or so? a bit further out? is when Naxos Distributors/NML starts noticing things, maybe. So that would be maybe.. hrm... August 2019? Though there are only some - to go a bit further out - June 2019 releases from labels Naxos distributes with items that are out of copyright and which correspond to scores we have, etc., on workpages we have, etc. that have appeared (e.g. Robert Kahn's 2 cello sonatas, issued on cpo and released in the US by June 2019 are still not available.) Likewise a Pan Classics recording reissued in 2019 (first issued in 2017) though the Toccata Classics 2016 recording of one of the Hasse cantatas published in 1751 that's on the disc is offered by us in manuscript and on NML recording (Oh Dio! partir conviene...). Etc. Hrm. Maybe it is a year, not a half-year, mark (and not everything meeting conditions even so). Ah well!...
Sorry.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

...not sure whether this is something Naxos or we have to do with...
The open circle is a very neat idea, allowing access to, in some (not all) cases access to all works on a recording that we have NML pages/recordings of (so if we have a link on one Scarlatti sonata page to a collection CD set of Scarlatti sonatas, the open disc link in principle will link together all the recordings on that collection CD set for which we have pages that link to that CD set.
This doesn't always work perfectly, of course. For example, the Brilliant Classics Editions are often hours or more long when one uses this feature (yay! :) ) but sometimes one can only "get" one or more "CD" worth (and not for the obvious reason that we only "have" one disc from the set, I think.) And most oddly, the Hummel Edition vol.1 (for example) from Brilliant Classics has lots of material for us, but if one clicks the open disc, we actually lose whatever we -were- listening to and it switches to the Fantasy in G minor Op.125 instead. Bit confused by that, the circle should create a not-smaller collection but not remove the track that you were listening to from your current "playlist"... (case in point: try the Brilliant Classics (edition) recordings of Grand rondeau brillant, op.126.)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

is anyone else having new trouble as of today with the nml features of the iphone imslp app, eg where it used to be possible to temporarily download tracks of commercial recordings (if one had a membership) and where one no longer can? it gives a reason but I can’t read it 🙂 Edit: “because the file is not available”. It’s not just commercial recordings that won’t download , but scores/parts too, so I’m wrong, this is an app problem, but not a nml one…
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

problem appears to have been fixed. I should have reported it in-app, apologies!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Spoke too soon (3 years ago :) ) about it seeming to me that the Naxos library was still getting updated. Besides that the thumbnail CD cover images are (sometimes) gone on my computer web browser in the Library part of pages, though clicking where they used to be produces playable results. (More often gone for eg cpo's and Marco Polo's recordings - well, the latter, I think, especially when they're the only ones available (see Fuchs piano sonata 3 op.109, or Spohr's 3rd violin concerto, ..- (and hovering my cursor produces an image, too)) - then the many recordings on e.g. Mahler 2 which seem to have found comfort in numbers :D

Also sometimes gone, unfortunately ("404...") the pdfs at the booklet links. Fortunately some of them for some of some companies' products (including cpo and Naxos) can fortunately for now be downloaded from Chandos' website (their US distributor) (maybe similarly mutatus mut.), though not all of the booklets arrive complete (or as more than front and back covers). Some do, though, and the information is sometimes very interesting (when the authors have put in real work. Etc.!)