Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Finale to PDF

Post by allegroamabile »

Is there any possible way to convert finale files to pdf? If there is, please explain in a simple, straightfoward fashion.

Thanks
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Finale to PDF

Post by Lyle Neff »

Do a Google search for +"primopdf" +"download"; download and install it. Then, whenever you need to make a PDF within an application, use the "Print" command in the application and change the printer to "PrimoPDF."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

If you run Finale without any external programs:
extremely simple on a mac: choose "print" (command P), then in the window where you choose the printer click on the pdf-button in the lower left corner.
according to the Finale help on a PC you have to choose "print a (postscript) file", then open the .ps file with acrobat distiller, which will create the .pdf Acrobat file.

(impossible to find if you are searching for this info under "file-conversion", you have to search for "pdf-documents"
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Mac or PC? With a Mac it's built into all print dialogue windows.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Its no problem if you are at least semi-experienced with either mac or pc (I have a mac and use Finale since 1988)
But I have now encountered at least half a dozen questions about "file conversion" to pdf, and their is no way you can find any info in the help under "file conversion" or "save as" about Adobe-pdf, because you have to look under the print menus
I guess its a leftover from the days where you had to install a pdf-printer (i.e. Adobe Distiller etc) even on your mac
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

windows and I am somewhat experienced

to Lyle Neff:
I used primopdf and pressed convert but nothing happened.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

All PDF drivers under Windows have always only been accessible under the 'Print' menu, unless like Office 2007 it was a specific export feature designed for that app.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

allegroamabile wrote:windows and I am somewhat experienced

to Lyle Neff:
I used primopdf and pressed convert but nothing happened.
I'm not sure what you mean by "pressed convert." As I wrote above, you need to open your application (in this case, Finale), load the file, and then "print" the file to PrimoPDF rather than to your actual printer.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

That's what I did chief.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I think I know what the problem is, because I also didn't get instant files.

Step-by-step

1) Open whatever file you want to upload.
2) <File>
3) <Print>
4) <Setup>
5) Under Printer, choose PrimoPDF instead of your normal Printer (it has to be downloaded and installed first, otherwise it won't show on your list of possible printers
6) While you're in this dialogue box, check that your paper size is right, and then click OK.
7) This takes you back to the normal box, where you can check dpi, etc. (this affects file size -- everyone says 300 dpi is adequate for scanned files, so 600 probably just wastes space?)
8) Click OK.
9) Next, you'll see a box that says "Sending music to printer".

This is where you have to be patient. After another 20 seconds or so (initially i didn't wait that long), a PrimoPDF box comes up. Here you type a path and file name under "Save As", and then click '"Create PDF" (at the bottom of this box). Only now do you get your PDF file under the file name you chose. If you don't do this part, I don't know where it sends the file, or whether it creates it at all, but it's like it went into the ether when it "sent music to printer" . . . . . . .
bsteltz
jmay

Post by jmay »

I tried using the file.print method but nothing worked, but I did try OpenOffice and then instead of saving it click export as PDF and it works like a charm
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Did you try that after installing PrimoPDF or some other PDF printer driver? That method assumes you have software installed that acts as a PDF "printer."
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

allegroamabile wrote:Is there any possible way to convert finale files to pdf? If there is, please explain in a simple, straightfoward fashion.
Install a PostScript printer: Open the Printers window, Add a printer, find the IBM 4039 LaserPrinter PS and install it. Of course this does not mean that you are going to purchase such a printer!

Then when you are under FInale, type the usual "print" mouse clicks, and you should be able to select your new IBM 4039 printer. Very imortant: find the "Print to a file" button and type a file name you will be able to remember. This should provide a new file. If this new file does not have the .ps extension rename it to .ps

Since you've asked for something simple, don't install anything else. Go to http://ps2pdf.com/convert.htm and find the Press the browse key to select the file: field. Read the site instructions, the FAQ etc.
SteveFlores

Post by SteveFlores »

daphnis wrote:Did you try that after installing PrimoPDF or some other PDF printer driver? That method assumes you have software installed that acts as a PDF "printer."
You mentioned PDF printer driver? I have HP printer, where can I get the PDF printer driver? is it from HP website or from PDF (Acrobat)?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Here are links to some pdf printer drivers and other hints: http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/ ... _HOWTO.php

Of course if you install one you can skip the paragraphs than contain "PostScript".