Moderator: kcleung

guifre
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Margin Removing - PDFs

Post by guifre »

Hello!

I would like to remove the top and bottom parts of every page in a PDF file (erase about 2 cm). I would also like to make some readjustments i a few other pages (repainting, etc). I have read your prevoius posts and I have downloaded Gimp 2.6.7, but I cannot manage to do what i want.

I am not a computer genius, so I do not know how to use all those commands you write. Apart from this, I use Windows Vista instead of Linux, witch makes your posts even more useless to me.

Can anybody tell how to automatize the magin-removing process and how to convert all the tiff images again to PDF?

Thank You very much!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Margin Removing - PDFs

Post by daphnis »

Firstly, this doesn't require "genius" status to achieve, and secondly, to do what you want is going to require some study and patience rather than someone telling you a magic solution, which doesn't exist. What you're probably going to have to do is to export all the images in a PDF to your machine and process them individually for things that you can't automate. For removing a set amount of pixels from the top and bottom, you can automate that with either Photoshop (droplets) or Gimp (actions).
guifre
regular poster

Post by guifre »

Well, I have used Photoshop and has worked well. Thank you very much!

The problem is that the PDF file has become fifteen times bigger. I have converted the images to TIFF and then back to PDF but it is still about 2.5 times the size it was originally.

As now that size makes it uploadable to the IMSLP, I have done so, but I would have liked to make it smaller.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Did you try using CCITT Group 4 compression? I believe Photoshop should have that setting somewhere.
guifre
regular poster

Post by guifre »

Well, according to Adobe help, the program uses CCITT Group 4 encoding when saving monochrome images as a PDF without asking, so it cannot be that, but thank you for your interest!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Upload a sample image somewhere so we can take a look.
guifre
regular poster

Post by guifre »

As I said, I have already uploaded it:

http://www.imslp.org/wiki/File:Op.18,_A ... (1896).pdf
(it is the 3rd version)

The file is not too big, but the original one (1st version) was smaller. However, it is not 50MB big (as it was before)!

I am making all this in order to learn how to do that in bigger files.

The thing is that I have scanned Debussy's Préludes 1er Livre at 600dpi. When I was just going to upload it I realised that the titles were placed in the wrong places (the original edition (Durand) placed them at the end of every piece, whereas my Schirmer reprint places them at the beginning). As I found that inaccurate I decided to put them following the Author's wishes, but the file, that originally was about 7,5MB now has become 12,58MB big.

But don't worry! If you cannot find what is wrong (if there is something "wrong")I thing that 12MB is an acceptable size for a very good 52 page scan.

And thank you again for your answers!

PS. Sorry for my weak English!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

This "newer" version looks completely fine. It's in 1-bit at 600dpi with minimal noise.
guifre
regular poster

Post by guifre »

Well! then I am going to finish my prélues. They will be uploaded tomorrow.

That's all! Goodbye.