PDF Readers

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

BKhon

PDF Readers

Post by BKhon »

Actually, if you use something like Foxit reader, it will be a lot faster. Plus it's free.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: MOzart piano quintet - oboe part problem on page 1

Post by daphnis »

Yes, but FoxIt is not compatible with all the PDF extensions, and furthermore, we are not guaranteeing full compatibility with 3rd party programs. For best results, use Acrobat Reader. If you can't view/print something with the latest build, THEN something is probably wrong.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

What PDF 'extensions' are you talking about?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Various features Acrobat pro and others use such as pre-caching, reflow, and other compressions and layers.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

I have to disagree. How many normal users will need all the extra stuff? It's like saying internet explorer or firefox is better than google chrome... clearly not.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

IE is required for something like .00001% of all web pages, most of which are not browser specific. Acrobat is widely used to create PDFs, and I would guess that special compression features in particular are used in a decent amount of files even on this site. There's really no comparison - Chrome has quite a lot of features, pretty much as many as Firefox or any other respectable browser. And anyway, the two types of programs are fundamentally different (and therefore can't be compared in a meaningful way), because web browsers read content, not create it. Daphnis is correct IMO.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Mozart piano quintet - oboe part problem on page 1

Post by daphnis »

First, I had to correct the thread title. Second, @BKHon, who constitutes the "normal users" group? Do you even know what this "extra stuff" actually does? Several of the features which Acrobat uses are quite helpful including quick page loading, which allows users to view PDFs in a browser via the Acrobat plugin without having to download the entire file before displaying pages, and JBIG2 compression, which is very efficient at storing 1-bit images, which are the majority of those at IMSLP. Third, and this will be off-topic,
It's like saying internet explorer or firefox is better than google chrome... clearly not.
If anyone ever says that IE is better than either Firefox or Chrome, in pretty much any capacity, then they CLEARLY do not know anything about web browsers or the Internet. Someone who would make such a statement I would then call into question anything else they might say about other technology. While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, it should be known that every poll, benchmark, and lineup I have ever seen featuring these named browsers and others (Opera, Safari), in every one IE was nowhere close to being considered better at anything.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

While the Chrome vs. Firefox comparison was terrible and wrong. Although I still maintain that for the average user, Foxit reader is better. First of all, it has a smaller file size, so the download will take up less space. It has a quicker start-up, and it allows you to add your own personal notes to the PDF file. The For the latter feature, you need to buy the Adobe full writing package, which costs money. When will most people use compressing files (Unless they are contributing and need to?). Granted, Foxit can't exactly do that. But, there is a way to sort of cheat and do it: Foxit PDF Editor > Edit >Optimize. That will get rid of abundant info from the PDFs and decrease the file size. And Foxit reader does allow you to display layers, and such. Respectfully, I disagree still,

BKhon
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I've used FoxIt reader and I'm not bashing it. I fully support openness and one's ability and right to choose and use whatever software package fits their personal needs and desires. I'm only suggesting that if you're complaining that your designer, custom-made, as-seen-on-TV screwdriver isn't properly extracting a Torx screw, it isn't the screw that's at fault. Torx screws were designed to be driven with a Torx driver. Go get a Torx driver and then see if you have problems...
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Of course, I do use Adobe Reader half the time for other reasons not mentioned. Actually, I usually use special PDF software I designed (to answer your question "Do I know what the extra stuff does": Yes, I do... I'm fairly fluent in technology and computer science. It's generally a good idea to watch what you say, and how you say it to make sure it doesn't come across as insulting. No problem though...). I respect what you're saying, but most people won't need the features.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

daphnis wrote:I'm only suggesting that if you're complaining that your designer, custom-made, as-seen-on-TV screwdriver isn't properly extracting a Torx screw, it isn't the screw that's at fault. Torx screws were designed to be driven with a Torx driver. Go get a Torx driver and then see if you have problems...
Of course, once every screw in your house starts needing its own screwdriver, that's going to be one huge pile of screwdrivers in your toolbox...
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Well, that's a bit extreme, but hey, if you don't have the proper tools, you shouldn't be doing the job.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: PDF Readers

Post by vinteuil »

I'm invoking Rule 8A

On another note:
BKhon wrote:What PDF 'extensions' are you talking about?
BKhon wrote:Of course, I do use Adobe Reader half the time for other reasons not mentioned. Actually, I usually use special PDF software I designed (to answer your question "Do I know what the extra stuff does": Yes, I do... I'm fairly fluent in technology and computer science. It's generally a good idea to watch what you say, and how you say it to make sure it doesn't come across as insulting. No problem though...). I respect what you're saying, but most people won't need the features.
...careful...
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"