Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Batch JPEG to PDF conversion with Irfanview

Post by WilliamBunting »

I have just got Irfanview, and thanks to a you tube tutorial got the hang of it. It can batch-convert from JPEG to BMP perfectly but won't convert JPEG or BMP to PDF. Can anyone offer advice?

A couple other points: it has put its lurid logo on all my file names. Can this be switched off?

Can this program do color to mono conversion?

Happy new year to all. WB
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Batch JPEG to PDF conversion with Irfanview

Post by cypressdome »

Hi William!

Forgive me for answering in reverse order.

Can Irfanview convert color to monochrome? Yes, and no. http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Image_Conversion covers using Irfanview for batch conversion. One of the options would allow you to reduce the color depth to 2 colors (black and white). The problem with this means of conversion is it doesn't allow for the setting of a threshold level and when dealing with 19th century music scores the default level is almost always too low.

I've never seen the issue with Irfanview placing logos on images. Does this logo show up on the bmp/tiff file or just on the final pdf?

Irfanview can read but cannot create the multi-page pdf files we need. You can search this forum and find a number of free applications that can do this. One that I've had luck with is Imagemagick. Once you install it and Ghostscript you can open a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing your tif files and execute a command in this format: convert -compress Group4 *.tif scorefilename.pdf. This will pack all the black and white tif files into one pdf file compressed using CCIT Fax 4 compression. Imagemagick can also convert images to black and white while setting a threshold. Can't tell you anything about that as I haven't used that feature.

Hope this helps,
Cypressdome
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Batch JPEG to PDF conversion with Irfanview

Post by coulonnus »

cypressdome wrote:. Imagemagick can also convert images to black and white while setting a threshold. Can't tell you anything about that as I haven't used that feature.
convert -threshold 50% oldimage.jpg newimage.jpg
A higher percentage will give you a darker new image. To write a batch:
FOR /L %%A IN (%1,1,%2) DO convert -threshold 50%% p%%A.jpg newp%%A.jpg
I assume your source images are p1.jpg, p2.jpg etc. Type "your_batch first_page last_page". You can choose another format for your new images.