Moderator: kcleung

olmsted
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Hathitrust Announcement

Post by olmsted »

From Hathihelper's developer:

"According to their March 2012 updates, HathiTrust data access is going to get more restrictive:

Quote:
Over the next several months HathiTrust will be implemeting security enhancments to the Data API. The enhancements will require developers using the API to acquire an OAuth 1.0 access key that identifies them, and a secret key that must be used to “sign” URLs to retrieve HathiTrust resources via the Data API. HathiTrust will also provide a Web client that employ’s a user’s login credentials as a proxy for these keys to facilitate non-programmatic uses. In March, staff at the University of Michigan integrated 2-legged OAuth into the Data API and began to develop the Data API client. Once OAuth is released, there will be an approximately 6-month transition period, ending October 1, 2012, during which signed access to the Data API will be possible but not required. After October 1, all requests to the Data API will need to be properly signed with an access key retrieved from HathiTrust. Complete documentation of the security enhancements and methods of obtaining keys and accessing the Web client is forthcoming. OAuth is planned for release in April 2012.

You may want to complete any archival activities sooner rather than later. I will update my tools if there is an option for the hoi polloi to obtain access keys. I suspect that there won't be and my next iteration will have to be a rewrite that scrapes PDF from the web viewer instead of using a proper API." http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/view ... pid=245574
Eric
active poster

Re: Hathitrust Announcement

Post by Eric »

Ah, thanks. (Actually, I've never been able to install Hathihelper in working order, but Hathitrust pages have been tetchy off and on in the last year or so, often claiming to be copyright-restricted when their catalog descriptions claimed one was entitled to full view (and the law did likewise), and this problem seems to be getting worse anyway. )
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Hathitrust Announcement

Post by cypressdome »

Thanks for the heads-up, Olmsted! I see that according to the linked thread that Hathi Trust's actions were brought about by a demand from Google that the works they scanned be available for viewing only--no downloads. Seems as if Google having scanned so much of the Public Domain now wants to take ownership of it. Well, I just got a new computer with a 1TB hard drive so I guess I'll be giving my DSL line a good workout until access is closed. If there are any scores on Hathi Trust you want drop me a line!

Cypressdome