Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Jumbo Frankfurters

Post by WilliamBunting »

Goethe Univ Frankfurt has 75 music socres, but many of them are very big greyscale PDFs e.g. 30-50M for 8 pages. However, when processed as usual (GIMP) the results are fuzzy. Any suggestions? Example at IMSLP 254033.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Jumbo Frankfurters

Post by cypressdome »

Unfortunately, the quality of their scanning is very inconsistent. The situation you have with the Brahms score is very much like that I ran into with the Urspruch German Dances. It was a 62mb PDF of nearly 40 pages and yet the music pages once extracted were only 100dpi measuring about 1000 by 1300 pixels. It's a case of garbage in = garbage out. The best you can probably do is leave a note on the work page that the score should be treated as a "placeholder" until a better scan turns up.

Cypressdome
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

WilliamBunting wrote:Goethe Univ Frankfurt has 75 music socres, but many of them are very big greyscale PDFs e.g. 30-50M for 8 pages. However, when processed as usual (GIMP) the results are fuzzy. Any suggestions? Example at IMSLP 254033.
Did you open the PDF directly in Gimp? I tried this the other day with a 600 dpi PDF, and Gimp gave me quality similar to your PDF. I had to use a tool to extract the images from the PDF, then open the extracted files in Gimp.

http://stefaanlippens.net/extract-image ... -documents
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

These pdf-files are much better than 1000x1200 pixel! Written with Photoshop-Elements 3.0 for Windows according to the file info.
They are at least 5000x6200 pixel.

Somehow my elderly Adobe 5 and Photoshop 7 balk at these newer files, but I printed each page to pdf (tabloid size) using Preview (Mac).
Then I could open the pages in Photoshop 7, crop and convert to 600 dpi monochrome. Have a look once it clears copyright review.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Liebeslieder_Walt ... MSLP254227

I will do the others tomorrow.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Glad I was mistaken about the Brahms. Wish I could say the same for the Urspruch (the 52 page grayscale 20mb file as opposed to the incorrect one I mentioned above which are huge color images). Even if I force Acrobat 9.2 or Photoshop CS2 to export/open them as either 300 or 600 dpi it's obvious the images are much lower resolution. If I let Acrobat determine the best resolution to export them it gives me 100dpi images. Such a shame as it was the complete set of 21 for solo piano.

cypressdome