Policy regarding modifying scanned scores

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

hnien73
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Policy regarding modifying scanned scores

Post by hnien73 »

With a number of scanned old scores I have encountered a need of making changes on a freshly printed copy. For example: I might modify fingerings and bow marks or add bar numbers. (My teacher would state that the original fingerings and bow marks are old-fashioned and in rehearsals we waste time because there are no bar numbers or rehearsal marks. Also, overwriting existing fingerings tends to clutter the page.)

For the score that I recently uploaded, I made another version for personal use to address these issues. Is this something that I could upload to IMSLP? How should I do this? (New upload or update existing file? Are there standardized tags for this kind of thing?) I would mostly delete fingerings etc., not add my own (or my teacher's) and I add a note (in the PDF) that the score has been modified from the original.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Policy regarding modifying scanned scores

Post by coulonnus »

Is the scanned old score already present where you want to add your new edition? I think the right place for your notes is in the Misc. Notes. See e.g. my longish misc. notes in https://imslp.org/wiki/Capriccio_in_C_m ... %2C_Luigi) :-)
hnien73

Post by hnien73 »

So, I understand from this that I'm generally allowed to upload scores 'with my own edits'. Of course I'll mention this in the notes.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps I misunderstood. Did you retypeset these scores or did you "edit" the pdf of some already present scores? In the 2nd case you should definetily leave these scores as they are and add yours. Old-fashioned fingerings, bowings etc are a testimony of playing practices in old-fashioned times. :-)

Put very briefly your modification into the File Description and add details into the Misc. Notes.