Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Difficulties with stubborn score, etc

Post by Eric »

so I finally got in, via the local library, the first edition of Franz Berwald's symphony no.4 "Naïve" (published 1911 - as "Symphonie No. 3 in Es dur"! - by Anton Benjamin of Hamburg, and in the stacks of Stony Brook library on Long Island- or will be again after I return it in February.) And I find that if I want to photograph the pages properly using my kindle camera (or using my phone camera either) (not at all sure I have access to a large enough scanner...), I may have to do damage to the even-numbered pages with folding at all. That doesn't seem right, considering. I will admit one of my reasons for scanning/photographing any of it is to have a pd-us representative of the work- even if it's just the Adagio or a single instrumental part (for all 4 movements, per our rules) (timpani?...) typeset rather than scanned from the 1911 score (that has occurred to me!) - so that _perhaps_ the NML section of the Berwald Symphony no.4 page will not keep saying that, because the only score we have there right now _isn't_ PD-US, no PD-US recordings can be available either (maybe because it takes that to imply that the work itself is not PD-US, I dunno. Whee.) (Ah well, solving this problem will have to wait until post the 26th when I get back from vacation, but reasonable advice on any of this is welcome...

Though fragile and pages-falling-out, the score _looks_ nice and I look forward to following (purchased, not NML) Ehrling's DeccaBluebell recording with it, so one way or another there's that anyway :). I gather it took until the 1960s or later before this lovely symphony had its US premiere- our loss.