How to create small PDF files?

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

To convert in B&W choose IMAGE - MODE - INDEXED (image) - B&W (1bit)
I don't know the dutch translation but the place should be the the same.

xsane: you are right! when you scan you have to choose GRAY mode , and not color or B&W(Threshold is automatic in B&S scanning)
So you will have CONTRAST BRIGHTNESS etc..options to better your preview and after you can start scanning.But so your file will be very big.

After this if you have an updated gimp version with david's batch plugin (you have to install gimp-plugin-registry pakage) you can convert in ctt4 all files at once.

In gscan2pdf you can apply threshold after scanning.It's better you scan in gray scale (if automatic threshold works not fine for you) and after you can apply threshold (Tools>Threshold).You will save all to tiff files by G4 compression.
If you can't install gscan2pdf probably you should update all dependencies too.
If you use .deb or .rpm should be all automatic. Installation by source is always very complicated.It' a very fine program for scanning

I think a file between 1 to 900 kb is acceptable.Generally a page of mine is between 300 and 600.

Ciao
bartmeijer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by bartmeijer »

Thanks again.
As I wrote yesterday, in principle it works now.
But the HP 1402 was not made for this job. The scans take forever, and at 600 dpi many scans are faulty: parts are vertically squeezed, and at the bottom of the page there is a zone that contains no useful data at all.
I'll ask Santa Claus for a better scanner :(

Bart