Schumann Urtext by C. F. Peters

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Pfsunmin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Schumann Urtext by C. F. Peters

Post by Pfsunmin »

Hi,

I have a scan of Schumann’s Kreisleriana Urtext Edition published by C. F. Peters.
However, I’m quite confused because it has fingerings and pedal markings like Henle editions, rather than Bärenreiter.
The main problem is that they didn’t provide the editor of the fingerings, which Henle editions usually do.
Should I remove the fingerings for this scan, as we normally do for Henle editions? Or is it okay to upload it like old Henle edition scan (like Schubert Impromptus scans with fingerings)
Unlike the Ravel Urtext Edition by the same publisher, it seems like the fingerings are not from the autograph or the original sources (first edition etc.)

(The publication information: https://worldcat.org/en/title/1281198422)
DBMiller
active poster

Re: Schumann Urtext by C. F. Peters

Post by DBMiller »

I'd remove the fingerings. But wouldn't you assume that given no other indication the editor of the volume provided the fingerings?
Pfsunmin

Post by Pfsunmin »

This is what they wrote on the inside cover:

ROBERT SCHUMANN

KREISLERIANA

OPUS 16

FÜR KLAVIER

Nach den Quellen harausgegeben von
Hans Joachim Köchler

EIGENTUM DES VERLEGERS ・ ALLE RECHTE VORBEHALTEN
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

C. F. PETERS

FRANKFURT/M. ・ LEIPZIG ・ LONDON ・ NEW YORK

Do you think it's unnecessary to remove the fingerings, as in the Henle edition published in the 1950s (Für Elise, Andante favori, etc), which I uploaded last year? Or do you think they should be removed for this case? If you can erase them, then I'll upload the file.

Also, I have so many scans published by Henle with fingerings that need to be erased, and it would take too long for me to do it all by myself.
Would you be able to help me, or is there anyone who is good at erasing the fingerings?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

With the year that was published in, its very likely the editor (who is still alive b.1936) did put in the fingerings as Henle is usually a trickster for publishing "urtext" editions with including additions made by an actual editor and that the amount of fingerings they put in is usually a heavy amount added in on the sheet music.

If you have more editions like this you want to post, unfortunately fingerings will still continue have to be removed from this publisher because either the editors are still alive or died recently, so its up to you if you want to keep posting them with the fingerings removed. If your going to attempt a large scale project posting them, perhaps it might be best to stick to editions that are in the public domain fully in Canada or the USA to add on here if you do not feel like continuing to remove them.

You could ask User:Fugalicious as he has helped us with various redacting projects in the past (but I doubt he would be willing to help with "alot" of them unless its really necessary as we did give him some big projects with took months to do), but yes these kinds of projects are very time consuming to do, so once again its up to you if you want to pursue such a project (you already have contributed quite a number without the fingerings). I have the ability to do this as well, but unfortunately, I have my own projects that I am completely swamped right now with as it will probably be months maybe years before I can have any kind of additional free time to help others with projects such as this.

With projects like that, speed isn't the thing you shouldn't focus on getting these up, its how much time you want to spend on it at the end of the day. Remember you are a volunteer after all contributing to the site but your deciding to post edition which does require effort to make it compliant legally speaking as they would be under copyright everywhere with the fingerings added in.