Szymanowski in US

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Szymanowski in US

Post by Peter »

Post-1923 works by Szymanowski (d.1937) are currently tagged as copyrighted in US. However, upon TRIPS entry, he was already in public domain in his country (polish law was life +50, had not joined EU). If Szymanowski did not publish simultaneously (within 30 days) in the US in compliance with US formalities (notice, registration) then all post-1923 works are not protected in the US. Can anyone comment on the latter?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Szymanowski in US

Post by daphnis »

While I cannot answer in the affirmative of the latter, I can only suggest that this may be of a dubious nature as I've found none of the post-1923 have been published by major reprinters. Certainly, if these works were eligible, they would have had their hands on them a while ago and re-issued them en masse.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Szymanowski in US

Post by Carolus »

While you are technically correct, Peter's above point applies in nearly all of his post-1922 works. Universal Edition was his major publisher. They hardly ever failed to correctly observe the formalities of the USA's 1909 copyright law. If you can give a specific example of publication sans notice, defective notice, etc., we'll be happy to consider it and tag as V/C/V if your evidence is compelling enough to make a case.