Ravel's L'enfant et les sortilèges

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ravel's L'enfant et les sortilèges

Post by sbeckmesser »

It seems to me that Ravel's L'enfant et les sortilèges -- and, indeed, all the rest of Ravel's works -- should be at least now available via the EU server, no?

--Sixtus
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Ravel's L'enfant et les sortilèges

Post by pml »

There’s some weirdness concerning French copyrights in the inter-war years, which is presumably the reason behind the scores not being available; on that link to Wikipedia, there’s some mention of this under the section “Proprietary rights”. I’m afraid I’m not really conversant with it except to say that I’m aware of it. Sorry.

Regards, Philip
Last edited by pml on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
PML (talk)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It's an extension of up to 14 years (life-plus-84) if the composer and publisher lived through the wars. 30 extra years if the composer actually was killed in the war. This should not apply to any other EU country, however, just to France.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

By this math, none of Ravel should be PD in Europe until 2024 and yet most Ravel scores seem to be PD everywhere. And Tzigane, published in 1924, is apparently PD in Europe while L'enfant, published a year later, isn't? Je ne comprends pas.

--Sixtus
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The copyright status of a work also depends on the date of death of any librettists/editors/etc. The words to L'enfant were written by someone who died in 1954, so the work is under copyright in all of the EU, not just France.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

KGill is right. Colette's living until 1954 is the reason it is not yet free in the EU. It's too easy to forget that the term is 70 years after the last surviving contributor. That's why dates for librettists, arrangers, translators, etc. are all actually quite important.