Nielsen Symphonies 5 & 6

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

madcapellan
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Nielsen Symphonies 5 & 6

Post by madcapellan »

I am in the middle of fulfilling a request for Nielsen's symphonies, and I wanted to check about his last two to make sure before I post them. I figured due to the parts included in the Orchestral Music Library that Symphonies 1-5 were PD in the US, while 6 was not. Nielsen died in 1931, so he is free everywhere else.

The score for Symphony No. 5 I found carries a small notice that says it was revised based on the autographs and a few small errors were corrected. No list detailing any corrections is present. The score contains a copyright notice for 1950 to Skandinavisk Musikforlag, Copenhagen, and has no plate number.

I had thought Symphony No. 6 would be ineligible, but I noticed that there's already a score posted of the symphony (a low quality VARIATIONS scan). It could certainly use an upgrade in quality. The score carries a similar notice saying its been revised slightly, but doesn't detail the corrections (outside of saying it split the flute parts into a flute and piccolo part). It also mentions the editor, and appears to be from the same publisher of the VARIATIONS score. The copyright is dated 1957 to Samfundet til Udgivelse af Dansk Musik, Copenhagen, and again, no plate number.

My thought is that these scores are certainly PD in Canada, possibly in the EU, and barring a loophole, not in the US. I just wanted to check before I posted anything in case there's something I'm missing (the other four symphonies have the same publishing information as the parts already on here, so they should be fine).
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Nielsen Symphonies 5 & 6

Post by KGill »

Symphony No.6 was reprinted by Kalmus (available for purchase here). They would have been sued and forced to remove it from their catalogue if it were not PD in the US, so it must not have been renewed. Go ahead and upload (thank you very much for this, by the way - it is a very important addition to the site). OM didn't include this work for some reason, even though they were perfectly free to.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Nielsen Symphonies 5 & 6

Post by Carolus »

Ditto for the Tuxen revision of Symphony No. 5. Kalmus offers both the original 1926 score and the Tuxen revision, which was not renewed.