book in EU

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

choul
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

book in EU

Post by choul »

If I have a book with pieces by several composers where the book itself is free in the EU (taken into account that the editor of the book must be dead for at least 70 years), but in this book some pieces have a seperate editor or the composer is not dead for at least 70 years, does this mean that I can't upload it at all, or can I still upload the pieces in the book that are pd?
(I live in the EU).

I'm sorry for all my questions, not everything is clear yet.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: book in EU

Post by KGill »

Correct, you can only legally upload those works which are PD in the EU. 'The book itself' is not completely free in the EU - just because an editor is in the public domain doesn't mean the work s/he edited is as well.
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

KGill wrote:Correct, you can only legally upload those works which are PD in the EU. 'The book itself' is not completely free in the EU - just because an editor is in the public domain doesn't mean the work s/he edited is as well.
I think that I don't completely understand your answer. I do understand that I can't upload the scores in this book that have a seperate editor or composer mentioned where one of those two are not in the public domain, but what about the other pieces in the same book?

Does it mean that if the book is not completely pd in the EU that none of the pieces in it are pd?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

No, you can upload the bits that are PD. Just not those that aren't. For instance, a Public Domain edition of a piece of Brahms with a new preface that is in copyright: you can upload the score, but not the preface.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

perlnerd666 wrote:No, you can upload the bits that are PD. Just not those that aren't. For instance, a Public Domain edition of a piece of Brahms with a new preface that is in copyright: you can upload the score, but not the preface.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know (and hear of course ;-)), thanks for the information!