Viotti Violin Concerto No.23

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

ras1
active poster

Viotti Violin Concerto No.23

Post by ras1 »

I'm about to upload the Viotti Violin Concerto No.23 from notes.tarakanov.net to IMSLP, but I can't tell for sure if it's public domain. I assume it is in Russia, since it's on the site...does that necessarily mean it's okay for IMSLP?
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

not necessatily, i don't know about russian copyright laws, but they're different from canadian, plus many russian sites are quite liberal with copyright laws, so it doesn't always mean they're PD. In this case the work is almost certainly PD (Viotti died 1824?) so unless it's a modern edition, then you'll be ok.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I guess I'll go ahead and upload it. If it turns out not to be (which I doubt), someone will just delete it.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Oh wait...it says 1960 and something in Russian at the bottom of the cover page...guess I won't do it.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

If it's a Russian edition from 1960, you can go ahead and upload it. As for things on Russian sites like Tarakanov in general, you have to be careful - especially when they've got copies of Western scores. For example, there are a number of works by Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland on the Tarakanov site. These are all under copyright - supposedly even in Russia (where scant attention is paid to such niceties, apparently). You cannot upload Barber, Copland, Rodrigo, and Ginastera - to name some other examples - here.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

ras1 wrote:Oh wait...it says 1960 and something in Russian at the bottom of the cover page...
If anyone cares, it says
ГОСУДАРСТВЕННОЕ
МУЗЫКАЛЬНОЕ ИЗДАТЕЛЬСТВО
Москва 1960
which translates to
STATE
MUSIC PUBLISHING HOUSE
Moscow 1960
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

OK - thanks for your help, everyone.