George Antheil

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

George Antheil

Post by Starrmark »

Is Antheil's Jazz Sonata now in the public domain in the US and Canada? I have seen a copy with 1922 typed on it -- but I don't know if this was a first publication. Antheil died in 1959.

Many thanks,
MS
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: George Antheil

Post by KGill »

As far as I can tell from WorldCat, his manuscript is dated 1922 but the piece wasn't actually published until 1951. Is your copy engraved?
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

The music appears to be notated with an old technique known as autography -- which was visually superior and more regular than ink-on-ozalid hand-copying but not the equal of plate engraving. It is not a manuscript. There is no name of a publisher on the copy. So perhaps this is a fair copy that Antheil had made for himself before his works were published commercially. If there was more than one copy made, does that count as a first publication in 1922?

MS
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Not normally. If he actually printed a number of copies and distributed them - even for free (as Ives did with his 114 Songs and the Concord Sonata) - it counts as having been published. If there was a piece of Antheil's published in 1922 that you can confirm was actually printed in 1922 or before which mentions the piece on the back cover - that also counts as publication in 1922 (or before). Likewise, if there is a publisher's catalog dating from 1922 which lists the piece it counts as having been published in 1922.