Rheinberger, Fünf Hymnen op. 140 nr. 1 and 3

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Rheinberger, Fünf Hymnen op. 140 nr. 1 and 3

Post by Choralia »

I got the scores in subject (nr.1 is "Tribulationes" and nr. 3 is "Eripe me"). They are supposedly Urtext editions, published by Carus Verlag in 1997. Worldcat reports that Carus Verlag published them already in 1982: the edition number was slightly different, while the number of pages and all details reported by Worldcat appear identical to the edition of 1997. So the 1997 edition may be just a reprint of the 1982 edition, whose copyright expired beginning 2008 in the country of origin. Can the 1997 edition be published on IMSLP? Do we need (and would it be possible) to ascertain that the 1997 edition is a reprint of the 1982 edition?

Max
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Rheinberger, Fünf Hymnen op. 140 nr. 1 and 3

Post by Carolus »

Yes, you would have to do a detailed comparison if there is a new editorial and copyright claim. I have been told by the owner of a music shop in Germany that the publishers there do this every 25 years: Whenever an edition is about to expire, they issue a "new" edition, with a new editor listed along with a new copyright claim - even though it is basically a reprint of the expired edition. Some of the older companies - like Peters and Breitkopf - do this with scores that were originally printed by them more than 100 years ago. There could have been new things added, so you really don't know unless you actually compare. We have to use a strict standard for this, as it otherwise leaves the door open for attempts to shut us down. If you can document that that 1997 score is literally an unchanged reprint of the 1982 score, it should be eligible for the EU server.
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Rheinberger, Fünf Hymnen op. 140 nr. 1 and 3

Post by Choralia »

Carolus wrote:Whenever an edition is about to expire, they issue a "new" edition, with a new editor listed along with a new copyright claim - even though it is basically a reprint of the expired edition
This is precisely what I suspected (I noticed similar situations mentioned already in these forums). I think such an approach is really deprecable and it should be somehow counteracted. Unfortunately I have no access to the 1982 edition, however I may probably get a copy of the original Kistner edition of 1880-85. If I can, I'll scan and upload it.

Max