Frank Bridge - Non-PD EU ?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Flyingbretzel
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Frank Bridge - Non-PD EU ?

Post by Flyingbretzel »

Hello,

I have just noticed Frank Bridge died on January 10th, 1941. Is his work then still non-PD EU ?

Thanks
steltz
active poster

Re: Frank Bridge - Non-PD EU ?

Post by steltz »

A composer is protected until the end of the year in which the 70 years expires, so Bridge is protected until 31 January 2011. As of 1 January 2012, all of his works published in his lifetime are public domain.

Make sure you check whether a work was published in his lifetime, or posthumously, as the posthumous works are dealt with differently. It will also depend what country you are in -- if you aren't British, then the rules that would govern your use of the music would be the country you are using the music in. For this reason, I can't really say what posthumous term of copyright would apply, because I don't know where you are.

The other thing to remember is that the works of Bridge that were first published before 1923 are available for download at IMSLP, because they are in the public domain in both Canada and the US. However, just because they are available for download here doesn't mean they are legal for you to download and use.

If you are in a "life + 70" country, you will have to wait until next year.

Hope that helps a little.
bsteltz
Flyingbretzel

Re: Frank Bridge - Non-PD EU ?

Post by Flyingbretzel »

Thanks for the precision.