Typesetting Renaissance Music

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

hikui87
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Typesetting Renaissance Music

Post by hikui87 »

How would I go about uploading a typeset score of a composer such as Palestrina from a recent publication? Is this considered public domain?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Typesetting Renaissance Music

Post by pml »

What piece of Palestrina’s? Which recent publication? Who is the editor?

Depending on how recent, the answer to your latter question is probably “no”. The “why” of this, I’ll leave until you get back with the answers to my three questions. ;-)

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
hikui87

Post by hikui87 »

Dover republication in 1993 of an edition by Raffaele Casimiri published by Scalera, itself a reprinting of selected works from Giovanni's complete works. I noticed most of the pieces contained in the Dover edition are not on Giovanni's page on IMSLP.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

There would be no problem uploading those, even if the life+70 strictures of the EU were to affect any editorialisms by Casimiri himself (†1940s). When you said a recent publication, I assumed you meant the work of a still-living editor!

By the way, the works in the Dover volume will almost certainly already be on the site (see worklist), in the other complete works edition by Haberl et al. This was uploaded in roughly 30 large files, as it would be a large amount of work to split it out across ~700 files on 500 different individual works pages; it would be a project in itself to do this. However, the alternate editions by Casimiri are definitely worth having as well.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)