Various Composers

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

m.kowalski49
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Various Composers

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I have a bunch of old Utah Symphony Parts that have a few items of Korngolds works,

Piano Concerto, Cello Concerto, Robin Hood Adventures, Violin Concerto, and some overtures.

Whats the status on these works, most, of which, all in fact are from Edition Schott.

I also have Opera Parts, mainly 1st Violin (that of Korngold).

and Also Prokofiev Works,

The Stone Flower, Romeo and Juliet, War and Peace, Love for 3 Oranges, Lt. Kije suite, Symphonies 2-7 and Peter and the Wolf.

A gentlemen who played for Utah Symphony for 60+yrs had recently passed away, (2008) but a I inhereted all of his music, they arrived in droves of filing cabinets and theres just way to much to list here. I'm cataloguing the lot, and want to contribute as much as possible.

there are also Puccini Operas, and Verdi.

Tosca, Turandot, Madama Butterfly, La Boheme. Rigoletto, La Traviatta, il Trovatore etc, Ballet Il Vespri Sicilliane(?)

Bruckner Verlag parts, (from the musikverein Linz Bruckner Editions) I know for a fact Shostakovich can not be uploaded, and there seems to be complete parts to almost every piece Shostakovich wrote.

Thanks!

mk.49
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Various Composers

Post by Carolus »

OK, here's a simple rule you can use. If the composer died less than 50 years ago (Shostakovich, for example), you cannot upload anything to the main server. If the composer died more than 50 years ago (Prokofiev, Korngold) you are free to upload items, as long as you understand that some of these (the Prokofiev and Korngold being good examples) are unlikely to be generally available as they were first published after 1922 and subject to the infamous [TB] block due to their still being under copyright in the USA plus the EU and other 70 p.m.a. territories. BTW, if you are in the USA, please note that it is possibly illegal for you to scan and upload such items to the main server in Canada.

Composers who died more than 70 years ago (Verdi, Bruckner, Puccini) are naturally OK to upload and should be widely available. In the case of Turandot, it will be possibly subject to the same [TB] block due to a) it having been published after 1922; and b) its completion by Alfano, who died less than 70 years ago. If you are in the USA, to be absolutely safe, make sure that anything you upload was a) was written by someone who died more than 50 years ago; and b) published before 1923.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Also check for editors, as they are also protected in most if not all cases. I know Bruckner for one comes in several editions.
bsteltz
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Cool, no worries then. The Bruckner editions are Musikwissenschaflichter Verlag, Vien, all have copyright dates from the 50's. There are 3 versions of Symphony No 3. 2 of the 6th, 2 of the 4th.