Pirates of Penzance - Schirmer vocal score

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Pirates of Penzance - Schirmer vocal score

Post by haydenmuhl »

I have a Schirmer vocal score of Pirates of Penzance, plate number 38710. This is a reprint with supplemental material and a copyright stamp of 2002. Some information that I've found on the net gives an original publication of 1940-ish, which matches up with info about Schirmer plate numbers on IMSLP.

I know that there are Schirmer G&S scores that are in the public domain because they failed to put copyright marks in the score. There are no copyright marks that I can find in the reprinted pages of music. Any word on whether this is public domain?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Pirates of Penzance - Schirmer vocal score

Post by Carolus »

The copyright claim (2002) is due to some added material - a discography as I recall, plus maybe some other items appended. The ca.1940 score is a re-engraving of the Chappell original, with the dialogue included. (Most US prints of the G & S scores, even the "pirated" ones from the 1880s, include the dialogue, while the British scores for some reason do not). The Schirmer score is actually reprinted by Alfred (under the Kalmus imprint) and presently sells for 3 dollars more than a Schirmer print of the same thing (!). You are quite free to upload the ca.1940 score here.