Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Berlioz. Barenreiter Edition

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

m.kowalski49
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Berlioz. Barenreiter Edition

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I have several copies of Various Works of the Composers mentioned in the Subject line

Most have copyright dates from 1950's - 1960's (Mozart)

Berlioz, Schubert and Beethoven are from mostly the 1980's - 1990's

Are these uploadable?

Thanks mk.49
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Berlioz. Barenreiter Edi

Post by pml »

Anything before 1986 is fair game. 25 year copyright on urtext editions published in the former East Germany.

Also, probably best to concentrate on the Beethoven, Schubert and Berlioz before the Mozart: there are scores also available at dme.mozarteum.at for him.

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
madcapellan
regular poster

Post by madcapellan »

Is it possible that I could get a clarification on the New Berlioz Edition regarding its copyright and uploadability here? I might be able to add some of the volumes (and I notice a template is ready to go), but as the volumes are mostly recently published, I want to make sure before doing anything.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: New Berlioz Edition. Bärenreiter

Post by pml »

Certainly! Props to you for the massive work you’ve done on Rienzi: it is great to have a complete score of the entire work, let alone a version of the famous overture without missing pages. That has immediately gone into my download collection and I will be relishing the opportunity to reacquaint myself with it.

The first volume of the New Berlioz Edition came out in 1967 and the (very nearly) complete edition concluded in 2006 (the publication date of 2005 that was actually printed on the last volumes was apparently vainly optimistic). It was meant to be finished for the bicentennial year of 2003, but better late than never hey? As the NBE page shows, we’re blessed to have one of the NBE editorial team as a sometime contributor here.

Under German law, scientific or technical publications such as urtext editions are permitted a 25-year-term of copyright. Berlioz himself left many of his works in a good state and so most of the editions are true urtexts; very few of the volumes of the NBE would include editorial contributions to the music itself of sufficient originality to merit longer terms based on protection for the members of the editorial team.

Thus, the musical components of the following volumes are in the public domain in the country of origin:

Volumes 2a–b, Les Troyens ed. Hugh Macdonald (1969–70)
Volume 3, Béatrice et Bénédict ed. Hugh Macdonald (1980)
Volume 5, Huit Scènes de Faust ed. Julian Rushton (1970)
Volume 8a, La Damnation de Faust ed. Julian Rushton (1979)
Volume 9, Grande Messe des morts ed. Jürgen Kindermann (1978)
Volume 10, Te Deum ed. Denis McCaldin (1973)
Volume 13, Songs for Solo Voice and Orchestra ed. Ian Kemp (1975)
Volume 16, Symphonie fantastique ed. Nicholas Temperley (1972)
Volume 19, Grande Symphonie funèbre et triomphale ed. Hugh Macdonald (1967)

All of these also qualify as public domain under the urtext provisions of the EU as a whole, which legislates a slightly longer maximum eligibility of 30 years protection for its member countries.

The next part of the edition to become obtainable would be parts of Volume 8b (Rushton’s supplementary volume to the NBE La Damnation de Faust) which enters the public domain in 2012.

Separately of the music, editorial forewords do not fall under the urtext rubric and cannot be uploaded; and volume 2c (the supplement to Les Troyens) would presumably be something a patchwork, since the last time I inspected it the portions of full score should be fine, but some of the critical apparatus was often appended to the sections under special analysis: for example, cuts and modifications made by Berlioz in 1863, or the provision of the omitted section of the 1862 vocal score that has been irretrievably lost from the full score of Act 1 (the scene of the Greek spy).

As you might be aware from its long presence on Carolus’ talk page, Les Troyens is viewed as especially desirable owing to the rather poor state of the Choudens full score of Acts 3, 4, and 5; the vast majority of typesetting in Acts 1 and 2 seems to have been contracted out to Breitkopf und Härtel, and the superiority of their work shows. There are other major gaps – Benvenuto Cellini and the Messe solennelle – but let’s save that conversation for about a decade or more in the future.

Regards, Philip

EDITED TO ADD: All of the public domain NBE volumes have been uploaded by Madcapellan. Huzzah! (Well, with the minor exception of some items from volume 2c, the supplement to Les Troyens, which have not yet been added. But an awesome amount of work at any rate.)
--
PML (talk)
poncho
regular poster

Post by poncho »

This is great work! As a request, I am particularly interested in the full and vocal scores of the Grande Messe des morts :D
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

The Bärenreiter vocal score for the Requiem is not possible, firstly as it probably uses a new reduction of the orchestral material in the piano part, and secondly as it dates from 1992 which is too recent.

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
poncho
regular poster

Post by poncho »

pml wrote:The Bärenreiter vocal score for the Requiem is not possible, firstly as it probably uses a new reduction of the orchestral material in the piano part, and secondly as it dates from 1992 which is too recent.
Ah ok, thanks for the information. The full score would still be great.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hint: check my post above. :-)

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
poncho
regular poster

Post by poncho »

pml wrote:Hint: check my post above. :-)
Woohoo!
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

--
PML (talk)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

These are just terrific additions. Huge thank you to Madcap! I, like Philip, am especially ecstatic to see the full score of Les Troyens finally available. Not only is this, in my opinion, one of the greatest achievements in the history of French opera, but also removes about 1,000 pages from my back log of scores to scan!
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I had forgot to mention, these are only 1st Violin parts. I haven't gone through rest of the filing cabinets. There may be scores as well. But as far, just some Orchestral Parts.

mk.49
Musico

Post by Musico »

m.kowalski49 wrote:I have several copies of Various Works of the Composers mentioned in the Subject line

Most have copyright dates from 1950's - 1960's (Mozart)

Berlioz, Schubert and Beethoven are from mostly the 1980's - 1990's

Are these uploadable?

Thanks mk.49
I am waiting for schubert and beethoven barenreiter edtions, are they in the uploading line?