Cui song, with English by Joffe

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Cui song, with English by Joffe

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello,

I have a song by Cui that was printed in the US in 1917 with text only in English (the original was in Russian, from 1905). The English singing-translation in this edition was done by Judah A. Joffe, who died in 1966 (he also translated Rimsky-Korsakov's memoirs, by the way). Am I right that the translator's status would prevent this edition as it is from being a candidate for IMSLP?

And if that's the case, would a work-around be possible by editing the English text out of the edition and putting the Russian back in? (I don't have a Russian edition, but I do have the original poem.)

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

lkn
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Because the translator died in 1966 would mean it is NOT in the public domain in Canada, but because it was published pre-1923 that means it IS public domain in the US.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

daphnis wrote:Because the translator died in 1966 would mean it is NOT in the public domain in Canada, but because it was published pre-1923 that means it IS public domain in the US.
Could Joffe's English text be removed and the Russian poem replace it?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Yes, that should work, or just remove the English all together.