Vivaldi, Gloria RV588, Kalmus edition K09919

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Vivaldi, Gloria RV588, Kalmus edition K09919

Post by Choralia »

About one year ago I purchased in the US a copy of "Introduction and Gloria" (RV639 and RV588) by A. Vivaldi, vocal score with piano reduction, published by Kalmus (K 00019), edited and translated by Clayton Westermann. I originally thought that it was a recent edition under copyright, while I recently realized that a similar edition of the more famous "Gloria" RV589, also edited and translated by Clayton Westermann, is present on IMSLP (IMSLP #89126). I guess that IMSLP #89126 is public domain in the US because it was published without a valid copyright notice, or because it was a reprint of an older PD edition, or for some other reason, so I wonder if my score of RV639/RV588 may be public domain as well (at least in the US - then, it would be public domain in Europe too, based on the rule of the shorter term). Can anybody confirm?

Max
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Vivaldi, Gloria RV588, Kalmus edition K09919

Post by Carolus »

Kalmus - or, more accurately - Belwin-Mills (who purchased the Kalmus vocal and chamber catalog) injected these editions into the public domain when they printed many hundreds of copies without a copyright claim. They've now been reprinted by Serenissima as well. They were all brand new, freshly engraved editions back in 1968-70 when they were first issued.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Thank you very much, and thanks to Belwin-Mills and Kalmus for this nice gift to public domain. I uploaded the file, yet to be reviewed by the CR team (I'd like not to review it myself being the submitter).

I also have a copy of the full score of this work, published by Ricordi in 1990. As an urtext edition this would be public domain here in Italy right now, however I guess that the presence of a continuo realization makes it under copyright still for a long time.

Max
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

Is there no way to simply erase the continuo realization from the scanned pages?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Boccaccio wrote:Is there no way to simply erase the continuo realization from the scanned pages?
Technically speaking, yes. The continuo realization is shown on a dedicated stave that could be easily deleted. However, I'm not sure whether editing a copyrighted score to remove those items that make it copyrighted is fully legal. Any hints from our experts?

Anyway, the resulting urtext edition would be eligible for being uploaded to the EU server on January 1st, 2016 (i.e., after 25 years from publication - Italy's 20 year term is an exception), so we have some years of time to analize the case, unfortunately... :roll:

Max