Schoenberg Sämtliche Werke, Strauss Lieder

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

madcapellan
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Schoenberg Sämtliche Werke, Strauss Lieder

Post by madcapellan »

Both of these are urtext edition of sufficient age to be eligible for this site, but obviously both would only be PD in Canada.

The Schoenberg edition was actually begun in the 1960's, even though it is still being published today. Many of the volumes were published before 1986 (including his orchestration of the Brahms Piano Quartet), and they would help fill in some Schoenberg holes (such as Von Heute auf Morgen). It should be noted that the scores and the critical commentary are published in separate volumes for each work, often at a large distance from each other. Since the critical commentary wouldn't be eligible anyway, this section could be mostly ignored, although it would be helpful in determining which works have been published before and which hadn't.

The Strauss Lieder is four volumes of his complete Lieder (including orchestral), edited by Franz Trenner and published in 1964. Trenner only died in 1992, but his work on the edition appears minimal at best. The back of each volume lists information on each song cycle, along with a list of measures that apparently needed cleanup. However, this cleanup was not done for every work. Indeed, the original copyright date and publisher is still listed on the first page of each opus, although the plate number is the same Boosey and Hawkes one on each page no matter what (B. & H. 19215). With only a few exceptions, the vast majority of these list dates before 1960. The only exceptions I can see are the op. 87 songs (despite being composed around 30 years earlier), and some of the songs apparently orchestrated by the composer's son Franz Strauss (which obviously wouldn't be eligible for upload). Most of the songs have already been uploaded and wouldn't need to be again, but this would be helpful in filling in some holes (like the rest of the Four Last Songs for instance).

Again, as both of these are eligible only for Canada and not the EU, I wanted to check if the urtext rule still applied.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Schoenberg Sämtliche Werke, Strauss Lieder

Post by daphnis »

Keep in mind that, for the 4 Last Songs, the text in nos. 1-3 was by Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) and therefore copyright worldwide.
madcapellan
regular poster

Re: Schoenberg Sämtliche Werke, Strauss Lieder

Post by madcapellan »

14 months and counting.

Obviously I meant that I would check librettos before posting anything. That wasn't the best example (but it will be postable somewhat soon), but there are other missing orchestral songs that could be published assuming everything checks out.