Gliere Scherzo for Double Bass and Piano

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Gliere Scherzo for Double Bass and Piano

Post by WilliamBunting »

I have a scan of this work.

Firstly, is it No 2 of "2 Pieces for cb and p Op 9" ? The other is Intermezzo on IMSLP. The work is in F major and starts with two bars (measures) of rest for the db.

Secondly, is it good to upload? It is marked "All rights reserved' and published by MAM, Moscow 1999. However, there is no named arranger or editor.

Regards, WB
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Gliere Scherzo for Double Bass and Piano

Post by KGill »

It looks like No.2 of Op.9 is a tarantella; I think this is probably Op.32 No.2. It was published by International Music Co. in 1958, edited by Frederick Zimmermann (d.1967) - that edition was also registered and renewed in the US and cannot appear on IMSLP at all. I'm not sure whether it was published before that - I would have guessed there was a Belyayev edition or something, or at least Muzyka might have published it in the 1950s. (Masters also published the piece in what looks like another 'newly revised' edition.) What sort of engraving style is your 1999 edition in? It may be a reprint. (It was not registered at all with the US Copyright Office, which makes me think it might not be a legitimate claim.)
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

You are right, a Scherzo belongs to Op.32, first published by Jürgensohn in 1909, and consists of Prelude and Scherzo, see here:
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy

whereas op. 9 consists of Intermezzo and Tarantella
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

KGill wrote:What sort of engraving style is your 1999 edition in?
It's a modern typeset.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

In that case, I would refrain from uploading it. If it is in a modern style then it's all the more likely that it really was engraved in 1999; even if there is no original material, IMSLP has a voluntary prohibition on items newer than 25 years old as a courtesy to publishers (except for where we have permission, of course). It will have to wait about 15 years, but in the meantime maybe someone could find an older edition online? :)